FORUMS: list search recent posts

De-Interlacing Issues

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Jarmon
De-Interlacing Issues
on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:33:18 am

Hi there!

I am having some difficulty de-interlacing my video and am not sure what steps I need to or need not take. Here's what I am doing.

I have editing the movie in Avid Media Composer, and have de-interlaced through timewarp - fluid motion. From there I export it into Sorenson Media. I place the default 16x9 dvd large filter on it, and compress away. After that I import the compressed video into TMPGEnc. I make sure it is in 16x9, 720x480 res. I tell it that the source is progressive, because it technically is at this point, correct? Then I create the dvd files and burn!

However, when I watch the dvd, it is interlaced and I see horizontal lines like crazy whenever there is big movement.

What am I doing wrong... or what can i do instead?

Ryan

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: De-Interlacing Issues
on Jul 12, 2010 at 4:42:01 am

If your footage is not progressive and your end result is DVD you should not be de-interlacing. You gain nothing and you create problems.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 3:52:11 pm

yeah I wish deinterlacing and H.264 for DVD were options that could be locked and only available after taking a class to explain why there are not needed.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:56:51 pm

you forgot to add HD DVD to that list, but that should be burned and never heard from again.

Return to posts index

Ryan Jarmon
on Jul 12, 2010 at 7:54:39 pm

Ok, so if I don't de-interlace in Avid, I know that Sorenson and TMPGenc also de-interlace some as well... would I need to disable these functions whenever I go to compress and burn also?

Thanks!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:29:52 pm

Funny thing is I hear Blu-ray isn't really doing that hot either and most folks either download or buy DVDs these days. Weird.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:11:18 pm

Personally I think the problem with BD is the pricing. New releases at $30-35 on average, that is just crazy. For the big sellers the first week you can see them at $20-25. I like all the extras you get on the disc, so if downloads win think of another segment of our business that goes away. I don't like that.

The other thing that pisses me off if more and more BD force you to watch all the trailers. Only way to get by some it to FF, next chapter and menu buttons are blocked. Add to this Universals annoying ads on the upper right. I'm sure the guy that designed the menu loves to see his work covered by an ad.

Back to Ryan, yes if your footage is interlaced don't deinterlace in any step.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 13, 2010 at 12:20:44 am

yeah and the load times take me back to CD-ROM circa 1994. Really bad. :)

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]