FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVDSP Won't recognize blank DVD's!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Richards
DVDSP Won't recognize blank DVD's!
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:58:43 pm

Hello All,

I'm a novice to DVD Studio Pro. I just learned how to export my sequence from FCP into DVDSP and then out of DVDSP via YouTube tutorials from GetGoing Training. The first DVD I burned went off without a hitch however none of my other DVD's are working - I keep getting messages such as "The recording device reported the hardware error: Unknown Device" and/or "Please insert acceptable DVD recordable media."

The blank DVD's I have are Sony and Imation, both -R, 16x, 4.7GB.

I have followed the directions in the video to a tee. So what am I either doing wrong or missing?

Thank you!

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVDSP Won't recognize blank DVD's!
on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:22:24 pm

Go through the tutorial again. Also try a different brand of discs- anything different.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:31:14 pm

I did go thru the tutorial again and was not able to author. I also bought a new spindle of Imations. I tried 2 different Imations and 2 different Sony's and nada.
Is it possible my DVD drive has gone bad? Is there way to a diagnostic on it myself?
In any case, thanks Noah.

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 8, 2010 at 8:51:47 pm

[Lawrence Richards] "Is it possible my DVD drive has gone bad?"

that is a possibility. You need to try to burn a DVD (any data is fine) from the fine, this will tell you if it a software or hardware issue.

Also telling me you followed the directions to a tutorial to the tee, doesn't help me since I don't know what the tutorial is telling you. This error is not an authoring problem so no big deal here but in the future you need to tell us what you are doing and not to leave it to us to watch or read something else.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:18:37 pm

Michael,

Thank you for getting back to me. It was not my intention to be vague about the steps I took to author and then burn the DVD. The tutorial is a video and there are three of them so there's a lot of steps. I suppose I can write down each and every pertinent function I did and will certainly do so if you that would help you decipher the issue.

In the meantime I have tried to burn a video file- an mov file that I've never had a problem with. What I've done: inserted a blank Sony DVD; highlighted the mov file on my desktop; went to FILE... Burn; named the file and clicked "burn." Although the DVD would start as if it was going to burn, I get a "Burning the disc failed because communication to the disc drive failed. (Error Code 0x80020022)

I then tried an Imation DVD, went through the same basic steps as mentioned above, and all I hear is a 'sound' coming from the drive that sounds something like the drive is trying to find something - kind of a stop and go. Finally I get a pop-up asking what I want to do? I say Open in Finder. I then take the same steps to burn the DVD only this time the drive immediately spits out the disc and I get the same error message.

So this said, does this help you identify an issue, issues or solutions?

Thanks again!

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:25:59 pm

Try repairing permissions and zapping your PRAM. that might fix it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=89736

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:55:18 pm

This suggestion leaves me scratching my head but when I get back home later I'll do my darnedest to follow your directions. Thank you!

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:28:27 pm

No need to tell us the steps on this one, it is not an authoring issue, sound like you have an issue with the drive itself. The comment asking for more info was an "for the future" and for others. When we respond we are not just address the OP but anyone that might come across the thread.

How old is the system?

The only other thing to try is if you can find a slower DVD like 8x, but that is a long shot.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:53:04 pm

Thanks, Michael. If you feel confident that it's not a software issue but rather a hardware issue, ill go with that and take it up with my computer guy.
To answer your how old is the system question, somewhere between 3 and 5 years. I bought it used 2 years ago.

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Jul 9, 2010 at 1:11:25 am

And...! If the drive works with CD-ROM's and copies photos fine but not DVD's, does that indicate something?
That's it, I promise!

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Adrian Roup
on May 17, 2012 at 11:30:59 pm

Hi Lawerence,
You're not alone. This seems like a bug with DVDSP. I'm having the same problem here. Finder recognizes the disk and you can burn data but DVDSP doesn't read it. I found a tip online where you shut down DVDSP, then put in a disk until finder recognizes it - do not click on the "open in finder button" just ignore that. Then open DVDSP and try burn, it should work... I've just done it successfully doing this my side.
Good luck,
Adrian

Return to posts index

artyom. yershov
on Nov 14, 2014 at 11:02:49 pm

DVD Studio Pro writes this message "Please insert acceptable DVD recordable media.", when there is no disk (DVDdisk) in DVD-Rom inside, or DVD-rom is not connected with computer.
That's all))

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]