FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Menu Glitch in Windows, but not on Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Moore
DVD Menu Glitch in Windows, but not on Mac
on Jun 17, 2010 at 7:55:16 pm

Made a DVD Menu with a video background in DVDSP. Looks fine on a Mac and on a SD DVD player, but on two separate PCs, with PowerDVD on one, and WMP on the other, moving around the menu produces these weird glitchy jumps. Also, I have noticed that quality on a Mac and DVD player is good, but looks like crap on a PC. The video footage is 30p.

Any thoughts? This DVD is going to be viewed mostly on PCs.

Bill Moore
bill@lot25dmp.com
http://www.lot25dmp.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD Menu Glitch in Windows, but not on Mac
on Jun 17, 2010 at 10:50:31 pm

More details about the disc content and how you made your menus- describe it as if we can't see what's on your computer screen from here.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Bill Moore
Re: DVD Menu Glitch in Windows, but not on Mac
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:24:52 pm

Its a video background, 720x480, 30p, moving image buttons, each button has a higlight around it from an overlay file. When the user selects between buttons in powerdvd or win med player, the screen seems to almost flicker for a second, and looks blurry and crummy. Thats the best way i can describe it. It looks beautiful on macs and tvs... Just looks like crap on windows. Do windows dvd players have problems playing dvds with 30p content? I know the dvd is interlaced 29.97, but maybe there is something with the 30p flagging? I have no idea.

Bill Moore
bill@lot25dmp.com

Return to posts index

Bill Moore
Re: DVD Menu Glitch in Windows - Solved more or less...
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:47:15 pm

I unchecked "de-interlace video" in powerDVD and the problem went away. So i assume most windows based DVD software is expecting only interlaced footage on dvds? If that is the case, i guess i will have to make all of the video backgrounds in my menus interlaced... What a pain.

Bill Moore
bill@lot25dmp.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Menu Glitch in Windows - Solved more or less...
on Jun 18, 2010 at 4:30:16 pm

NO you have not solved the problem. The problem is how software in windows operator and the speed of the systems. Progressive footage is NOT de-interlaced, there is no interlacing to "DE" it is progressive, so if you turn off the deinterlace of the software it is not playing back interlaced, it is playing the progressive as progressive, the deinterlace should be ignored by the software. I don't really know what the software is doing but with windows you never know what you are up against, the software, the hardware are so unpredictable. But to make footage interlaced to solve this problem is going in the wrong way. If your view is going to be most on PCs then you really need to be producing progressive.

And the solution is just telling people what the optimal settings are, if you can even know them for all the software that is out there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]