FORUMS: list search recent posts

authored SD-DVD works in some players?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Pagan
authored SD-DVD works in some players?
on Jun 17, 2010 at 2:24:46 am

Hello
I recently made a DVD downconverted from HD (1080p 24fps, shot on a EX-1) to SD. My workflow was FCP 6.0.6 to Compressor 3.0.5 to DVD SP 4.2.1
Here's the most recent process (I tried many others as well):

HDV to SD-DVD

1) In your HDV project create a new sequence.

2) The "Sequence Settings"
a) Frame Size: NTSC DV 3:2 (720x480)
b) Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC CCIR - 601 / DV (720x480) and check "Anamorphic 16:9"
c) Field Dominance: "None"
d) Editing Timebase:"23.98".
e) Under "Quicktime Video Settings" I have the "Compressor:" set to "Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2" and the "Quality:" at 100%.
f) I left the Audio Settings untouched and clicked "OK".

3) Then I simply cut and pasted my original HDV Sequence into the new "Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2" sequence, rendered it, and exported as a "Quicktime Movie".

4a) Exported the sequence as a Quicktime Movie then imported the "Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2" Quicktime Movie file into Compressor, and encoded to Mpeg-2 and Aiff.

6) Finally, imported the resulting files into DVD Studio Pro and "Built and Formatted" the disc.

(In Compressor i changed all the frame controls to Best and changed the closed GOP to open. Settings were also set to progressive and 23.98 fps.)

Here's the issue: In a standard DVD hooked up to my TV (HD flatscreen) with regular video cables (yellow, white and red) I get a poor quality image (pixelated edges, banding and artifacts on fine details and graphics with camera movement). However, when I play the DVD in a player (not blu-ray or HD, just a standard DVD player) hooked up to the TV with, I'm assuming, HD cables (blue, green and red) it looks great with none of the artifacts or issues. What the heck? The DVD isn't HD, the player isn't HD. I assumed the artifacts were embedded in the build. I need to submit this to festivals, etc and I don't want to/can't gamble on whether or not a particular festival uses the older cables with their DVD player for submissions. I don't have this issue with my player and the older cables with other DVDs I've authored from SD footage. Is there a fix?
Anyone know?
Help.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: authored SD-DVD works in some players?
on Jun 17, 2010 at 4:39:19 pm

[Erik Pagan] "(In Compressor i changed all the frame controls to Best and changed the closed GOP to open. Settings were also set to progressive and 23.98 fps.) "
That is a waste of time you are not doing anything that needs Frames ON. You have progressive material at 24p, just encode it as such.

[Erik Pagan] "I'm assuming, HD cables (blue, green and red) it looks great with none of the artifacts or issues." They are NOT HD cables, they are analog component cables, that can send either SD or HD and in your case it is SD. But they will indeed look better, they are sending a lot more color information. Makes a huge difference.

Best quality with HDV footage is to send the HDV sequence to Compressor from within FCP. This takes a lot longer to encode and it will tie up FCP and Compressor for the entire time but it should look a lot better. If your movie is under 90 minutes I would use a CBR encode.

Return to posts index

Erik Pagan
on Jun 17, 2010 at 6:37:00 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try - any idea why this is happening (never had the problem before with straight SD footage to SD DVD builds)and playback with the standard cables)

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Sep 6, 2010 at 2:57:44 pm

It's difficult to know what the issue is without seeing it, but one problem we've had involved "dot crawl" along the edges of elements in the picture. This was seen even on footage shot on HD (XDCAM EX, I believe, as I didn't shoot it), where there is especially strong color saturation on one side of the edge.

The issue in that case is that the chroma information leaks over into the luminance, and you will see "marching ants" along the edge of the object.

The solution? Reshoot with changes to the lighting. It is possible to mute the effect some, but only at the cost of softening the entire image. (Deinterlacing has no effect on this problem.)

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]