FORUMS: list search recent posts

image 'shakes' on the final DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica van Rüschen
image 'shakes' on the final DVD
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:55:25 pm

Hey there,

this is my first post, so I hope I mention everything that is needed to know to answer this question...

It concerns the burning of a DVD I am working on.
I work with FCS and burned in DSP and in certain parts of the finished DVD the images are 'shaking'. Looks almost as if part of the images are not renderd out clear or 'arrive to late'. Difficult to describe, hmmm

I work on an IMac 3.06 with 4GB RAM
The orig footage is shot in DV PAL anamorphic on a SONY PD170 and on HDV on a SONY (?) don't know... but downsized while capturing to DV PAL anamorphic also.

I edited in a DV PAL anam sequence and when finished threw the whole seq into another seq with Apple ProRes 422, Compressor settings: field dominance none; render all YUV material in high precision; motion filter qual: best;

I did this because I have read to get better results with this codec. I really hoped so and on a small test it looked like it.

I renderd this whole seq and then exported a quicktime movie with current settings.

I imported this in Compressor: DVD 90 min best quality.

I imported the result in DSP and then on the disc I have the jiggering.

The ProRes mov looks fine and the mpeg2 also.

Any ideas?

I would b very thankful

with kind regards,

jess

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: image 'shakes' on the final DVD
on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:54:39 pm

If this is happening especially in faster moving sections you have a field order issue.

I believe DV PAL is lower first and the ProRes maybe Upper, but this problem could have been introduced on the encoding also.

That is the first thing I would look for.

Return to posts index

Jessica van Rüschen
on Jun 17, 2010 at 2:18:02 pm

thank you for your response,

I set the field dominance of the prores seq to 'none' and rendered fully after.
Now I made a try with seq settings to fotojpeg 75%, field dominance again none.

Same result.

I did not try until now however to just keep everything interlaced and also keep DV PAL,

what step would you suggest?
There are also very bad interlaced lines in the final DVD with both codecs (prores and jpeg) although both have the field dominance set to none and the interlaced check in the compressor settings UNchecked.

Maybe there is my mistake???

greetings,
jess

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 17, 2010 at 4:42:14 pm

Why are you setting it to NONE if you have interlaced footage? You need to keep the field order the same throughout the process. The codec has nothing to do with this.

Return to posts index

Jessica van Rüschen
on Jun 17, 2010 at 4:51:51 pm

I did that because the footage includes a lot of movement and in my experience I keep having these ugly interlaced stripes. grrr
so I thought this might solve the problem.

Would you advise to re render the sequence with apple prores field dominance set to lower?
Or better to keep it DV PAL anamorphic, as the origin?

Return to posts index

Bill Moore
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:51:44 pm

If this is going to be viewed mainly on computer monitors or projected, you probably should have shot the footage in progressive instead of interlaced. Because it is interlaced, you are sort of stuck with that, and need to work with the same field dominance the whole way through unless you run the footage through some sort of de-interlacing filter/software. Just setting the field dominance to "none" won't de-interlace your footage. It will just confuse your nle and make worse interlacing artifacts. Hope that helps.

Bill Moore
bill@lot25dmp.com
http://www.lot25dmp.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]