FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need some basics for make a DVD action safe file AE

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
miguel jara
I need some basics for make a DVD action safe file AE
on Jun 14, 2010 at 1:55:07 pm

Hi,

I need some basics about DVD authoring. I was looking at the forums but I could not find where are the answers I need, I know my questions are basic, so if you know what forum answer them I will appreciate it a lot.

I've made some animations in the computer they are 720x480 Square Pixel comps in AE. In the way I've been working to make DVD's I change the scale of the layer with the video until it get inside the action safe zone I exported it in a Quicktime file and after that I use TMPGEnc to convert it to DVD format (VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS folders) to could play it on a DVD player.

I post this thread because I realize that when playing the video on the DVD player the image looks vertically streched, no cropping, but enlarged so things look more tall than they are. Excuses for my english hope you understand what I say. I know that this is a problem with the pixel aspect radio, I supose that my laptop screen is square pixeled a the TV screen is 0.9 ratio. But I do not know how to use it to fix that issue. I was trying scaling the video no-proportionally and make it 10% less in height than width and it seems to work OK but for me it isn't the best way to do it. How could I do it in a better way? How to do it in such a way that when the DVD is played on a computer the image do not look with such a big black space arround? Because I see some DVD film on my laptop and there is not such a black spaces arround.

Another question is about DVD player and video beams. What kind of differences has the videobeam and the NTSC-TV? How does it manage the proportion of pixels? If I want to project my video with a DVD player connected to a VideoBeam must I work with square pixels?

Thanks for your time and your assitance,

M

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
Re: I need some basics for make a DVD action safe file AE
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:17:12 pm

When designing your menus in AE, or in Photoshop if you use that to create the static layers, then design in Square pixels using a size of 720x540. That way it will look right when it gets to DVD. DVD uses rectangular pixels.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: I need some basics for make a DVD action safe file AE
on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:21:08 pm

In either do you need to be working in square pixels any more. Photoshop has had aspect correction for some time now, you do need to set them up as needed. There are settings for 4:3 and widescreen, just use them. The program corrects the canvas within the app. PS gives you a lower quality image but you can toggle that on and off.

If you do design in square pixels 720x540 or 854x480 (for widescreen) they should always be resized to 720x480 before bring them into DVDSP, never let DVDSP do any resizing. But setting up the project correctly for video is always the cleanest and easiest why to do things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]