FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD burn errors, 90 min project

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karim Lopez
DVD burn errors, 90 min project
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:24:04 pm

Hello COW

I am looking for some info regarding dvd burning on a project that is about 90 minutes long.

I get inconsistent results on the dvds, with some working fine and some others freezing or skipping at around chapter 9, 10 or 11 (about 60 minutes in, always). I tried lowering the data rate to an average rate of 6 and a max rate of 5 but it seems the results are not reliable still (also, certain shots and rolling credits end up stuttering).

I also tried burning through disk utility from a disc img made in dvd studio pro (as opposed to formatting right out of dvd studio pro) just in case maybe the problem is in the actualy burning/formatting of the dvd.

I've searched through the forums and posts and the one thing I have not tried is doing a CBR encode rather than VBR which I know msacci, you recommend (but it seems for shorter projects right (?).

Also, I've read that its preferable to go straight to compressor out of the fcp timeline, but I had errors when I tried this and so I've been strictly making the full res export with the 'Quicktime movie' option and taking that file into compressor, so I don't have to risk waiting for an hour just to have the export fail.

Anything I'm missing??

I remain confused about this dvd burning process, especially since I'm keeping my data size well below even 4 gb (I know the 4.7 number is misleading) and my bit rate lower than recommended as well for the project length. I realize these things are affected by many other variables in the actual content of the film, etc.

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to get a cut done for a big festival and its urgent!!

I'm running the latest FCP suite, using compressor, dvd studio pro and fcp 7, and working on quad core intel Mac Pro w 4gb ram. (Sometimes I've tried on this other dual core machine with 6 gb ram)

Karim

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: DVD burn errors, 90 min project
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:39:51 pm

For a 90-minute program, encode with CBR 6 setting. Quality DVD media makes a big difference also for reliable playback. I like Taiyo Yuden discs, recently joined with JVC Media.

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Karim Lopez
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:57:04 pm

Thanks for response. Forgot to say the discs I'm using are what I believe to be good qual verbatim dvd-r's (I don't have the exact model # in front of me). Will post later when I get home

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:12:07 pm

I dont believe you mentioned the type of audio used. Uncompressed takes up 1.5 mb/s of bandwidth. Start a new project with AC3 audio.

Return to posts index

Karim Lopez
on Jun 3, 2010 at 10:01:49 pm

Yeah I've been making ac3 audio exports. Thanks

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 3, 2010 at 10:34:15 pm

Good...now try another batch of discs. Also try it on another set top player.

Return to posts index

Karim Lopez
on Jun 4, 2010 at 11:51:04 pm

Just wanted to say I've done more tests (and COW research) and I believe the problem was I was exporting at 2-pass VBR with a max of around 7, believing I was good to go.

I now learn that there is a 'spiking' issue, wherein the bitrate will go up above the max, sometimes one or two mbps. I'm quite sure the spiking was causing my dvd freezing or stuttering problem, and the inconsistency as well-- since some discs were handled and others were not, by my dvd player, and perhaps depending on the 2 pass vbr, different areas of the film were encoded differently with different bit rates each time (?) Not sure about that.

(Anyway, this spiking problem seems to be something that should appear right in the help manuals and basic literature, not something I should have to research and dig around and waste 50 dvd's on, since it's easy for somebody to mistakenly set a max of 7 or even 8, thinking they're safe.

Anyway I guess this is just more doing and learning from experience and-- reading experienced pro's opinions. I just hope this didn't cost me numerous festival entries because the discs I thought were good were freezing an hour in...)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 5, 2010 at 12:01:02 am

Yeap, this is why I recommend CBR, faster, better and safer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]