Is it possible to uncompress vc-1 coded movies for further editing
on a Mac?

Best regards,
Robert Grove.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Uncompressing VC1 on a Mac
on May 31, 2010 at 3:08:45 pm

Depends where it came from. Are you dealing with AVI or WMV files from a PC? Or files directly from a camera. In general the flip4mac tools work for AVI/WMV files:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/flip4mac.mspx

Perian or MPEG Streamclip for everything else:

http://perian.org/

http://www.squared5.com/

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Robert Grove
on May 31, 2010 at 9:52:47 pm

I'm dealing with vc-1 files demuxed from Blu-ray disc. All my attemps on uncompressing it to mov end up as a failure.
I have tried even Episode Encoder but no go...

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 31, 2010 at 11:32:09 pm

Well most likely what you are trying to do is illegal, you cannot rip copyrighted material and edit it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 1, 2010 at 12:33:18 am

Every time you illegally rip a Blu-ray, god kills a kitten... so live with that.

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Robert Grove
on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:47:39 am

Just to be honest... I'm not ripping Blu-ray for my own purposes but it is material recieved from my client due to cost of HDBeta tapes. I know it is sad, but it's the same procedure with DVD here in Poland.
We are an authoring house doing a job for license owner, not old scurvy pirates ;)

Best regards.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 1, 2010 at 7:07:21 am

Nothing on the Mac but there are tons of PC tools which can do this. Never heard of VC-1 on a Blu Ray.

This questions is bested suited for the geeks over at http://www.videohelp.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 1, 2010 at 7:36:12 am

VC-1 is the Microsoft version of a codec that you can use on BluRay, don't think many people use it. From what I've read, at twice the bitrate is it not as good as H264.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 1, 2010 at 7:40:17 am

That's why I gave myself an out. :-)

But if we all charged clients for sending us things that saved them money but cost us a ton of time we would all get what we needed on the right medium. In the end we are the ones that pay for stuff like this.

There is no reason they need to be muxing this into a BluRay video disc, they can just encode it and send it as a file.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:52:17 pm

Funny thing is *everyone* on this board who wants to know about ripping says it's for footage a client- I'm not convinced but that's just me.

Noah

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:02:26 pm

The funny thing is that only people that don't seem to know how to rip DVDs are on this forum.

I do get a kick out of your response to these type of things,

But I actually have to rip from DVDs a lot more than I want to so I understand. I worked for a replicator/duplicator for a while and salesman where always telling client to just master to DVD, it's digital after all.

I trust that Robert is being honest but like I said there was no reason to mux the original file.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 1, 2010 at 9:32:10 pm

I'd love it if Ron would rename this forum:

DVD Authoring (but not ripping)

Return to posts index

Robert Grove
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:37:55 am

Ok I can pass on this topic if you think it is not suitable for this place. I would like you to understand that I'm uncompressing demuxed data from DVD's and Blu-rays only for authoring matters for example like creating menu loop as it is only material for the client. No killing kitties in the name of God ;) So in my opinion we should stop this topic right here.

Best regards!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:01:38 am

Robert,

It is bad enough we have to do this for legacy project, what I'm saying is this is the worse way for a client or anyone else to send you footage. And most of the time there is no reason to get tapes made. Files can be sent to you or buy you. The files can be on DVD or BluRay media but they should NEVER be made into playable disc.

Honestly I have never needed to rip a BluRay so I don't know how.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:31:53 am

This is a perfectly suitable topic for this forum. We can't help what clients deliver. If they are dumb enough to master their material to BD or DVD and paying you to extract that material then we have an obligation.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 2, 2010 at 8:35:53 pm

I wouldn't say it's an obligation at all- well unless Ron says so. :) The folks being forced to rip DVDs/Blu-rays for clients are just following orders yes. But any advice we give on how to do this can and will be used by folks illegally ripping movies who will find these threads through Google.

Therefore, like it or not we'll be helping folks steal movies if we permit these topics to be discussed on this forum. And as someone who would really prefer to keep some of that hard earned dough instead of seeing it go to even casual pirates I'd suggest the buck stops here. But that's just me. I personally won't help anyone ripping for any reason whatsoever. If you guys want to go there- hey it's your call.

Noah

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 2, 2010 at 9:34:23 pm

I see your point but this isn't about ripping, its about extracting muxed material. Ripping is removing encryption - they are 2 different things needing separate tools.

MPEG Stream Clip is a great extraction tool talked about all the time in this forum.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:42:45 pm

Yeah but typically these questions are regarding pulling footage off of commercial DVDs and Blu-rays- for reels, demo footage etc. Sure that's not for pirating but it's still in no way legal or fair use, so the net effect is the same.

In my mind there's little difference between ripping and extracting muxed material. Bottom line if you are truly authorized to use someone else's footage it should not be multiplexed onto a shiny disc.

Noah

Return to posts index

Robert Grove
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:47:00 am

I absolutely agree with you about the way of recieving material, but there is the dark side of it. Everyone is looking to gain something extra or just spend a minimum cash effort to do the job done. Because there is only few Blu-ray authoring houses in my country there is some kind of battle whom gonna author it. Blu-ray isn't well propagated, there is only small consumers niche for Blu-ray titles. So, when you see things through my eyes, refusing client's order it's like giving away possibility to gain more experience with all the Blu-ray stuff, and of course way bigger cash than you would author a DVD ;)

To get things straight: I will let ripping matter untouched. I know how to do it, and I know it's a dirty way.

I just wanted to know how to demux streams from ripped Blu-ray and this only the case.

BTW: MPEG Stremclip will demux M2TS
container witch carries MPEG-2 not VC-1, I have tried it earlier.

Return to posts index

Uku Toomet
on Jun 6, 2010 at 12:11:01 am

Same thing here. The film distributor handed me blu-ray and asked me if I could add local language subtitles to it so the re-authored blu-ray can be shown in movie theatre. As you may know Sonic promotes usage of DVD-Logic's Blu-Ray reauthor tool to make ripping-reauthoring easier. So there is no need to accentuate illegality of the process. DVD Logic guys sell dvd demuxer tool but I'd like to use freeware tools. The doom9.org community has developed freeware tools as well.
Next thing is how to put subtiltles in re-authored disk. I haven't succeeded with Encore CS3 which i own.
Will Sony Vegas work?
My current workaround is to use various freeware tools to get my movie demuxed to put to FCP where I hard burn subtitles. But it takes 3 days to get work done. The description how we did it takes 2 pages. Any workflows guys?

Uku

Orbital Vox Studios
http://www.orbital.ee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]