FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD authoring trouble

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Snyder
DVD authoring trouble
on May 21, 2010 at 3:18:25 pm

I am attempting to create a DVD by outputting out of FCP 7 and burning with DVD Studio. Everything looks fine in the sequence but by the time I get it onto DVD the picture seems to lose sharpness. It has an almost pix-elated quality to it. As well, the text included in the video is jagged around the edges. I have tried to output it many different ways and am having no success. Any tips on the best way to output for DVD from FCP for use with DVD studio?

I shot all of my footage in 24P on a DVX 100 in squeeze mode. my sequence setting are as follows:

NTSC/DV 720/480 anamorphic
Editing timebase: 29.97

I have done outputs as self-contained and not self-contained as well with similar results.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD authoring trouble
on May 21, 2010 at 4:21:41 pm

Try this:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/first_play_warmouth.html

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 21, 2010 at 4:25:12 pm

That is not my favorite DVD authoring article. I don't like anything that leads a person to encode with DVDSP.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 21, 2010 at 4:22:56 pm

If you do not have an external monitor in your FCP setup you have never seen your footage.

DV footage has to be prepared well to be encoded well, you have to color correct it, the chroma needs to be within broadcast limits, especially Reds. Reds will always pixelate. If your footage is noise it is even harder to get a clean encode, and shooting with squeeze mode will give you noisy video because it is electronically zoom into the image. Also did you use gain when shooting.

DV is also hard to get clean text. One of the best ways to improve the quality is to Export with Compressor from the FCP timeline, this will bypass the DV compression on your text. If you are under 90 minutes you can use CBR encoding set to 6 Mbps and that should give you the best result possible.

[Andy Snyder] " I have tried to output it many different ways and am having no success. Any tips on the best way to output for DVD from FCP for use with DVD studio?"
Sorry to sound harsh but that is not useful at all, you need to give specifics on what you did.

Return to posts index

Andy Snyder
on May 21, 2010 at 4:32:50 pm

Thanks for the response. I have exported Quick Time movies self contained and not self contained. I have encoded with Quick Time Pro and with DVD Studio Pro as well as Compressor. I have not done an export with Compressor from the FCP timeline however. How would I go about doing that? I see a send to compressor option...is that what you mean?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 21, 2010 at 4:46:40 pm

Sorry, stuck between FCP 6 and 7, I still use 6 more. But yes, in FCP 7 it is Send to Compressor. And make sure you change the Encoding Mode to CBR, it will take a lot less time and normally gives you better results if you are able to use a high bite rate like 6 Mbps.

And by info I mean every setting, people want detailed answers and the more info you give us the easier it is for us to help you. We spend more time trying to track down the real problem then giving the answer. Just give advise on how to get better help on the cow.

Return to posts index

Andy Snyder
on May 21, 2010 at 4:52:40 pm

Great. So once this is finished is there anything else I should be aware of in terms of using this file to burn a DVD in DSP? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 21, 2010 at 4:58:23 pm

just drop it in DVDSP and burn it when you are done authoring.

Make sure you use ac3 audio also.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]