FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to capture a couple of minutes from a DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacinta Leong
how to capture a couple of minutes from a DVD?
on May 16, 2010 at 11:45:16 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm requesting info and advice. I'm preparing a Pwrpt / Keynote presentation, and I'd like to convert 2-minute of footage from a number of commercial movie DVDs. Could anyone pls tell me:
What software I can buy/use to "capture" and convert into .mov or .avi? I don't want to save the whole movie! Don't some DVDs make it really difficult to capture?
I have a 2006 MacBook pro using OS X 10.4.11, and an hp Elitebook running Windows Vista Business 64-bit.

Thanks,
Jacinta

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: how to capture a couple of minutes from a DVD?
on May 16, 2010 at 6:16:28 pm

That would be breaking copyright law. If you want to go ahead anyway- that's something easily found by googling for DVD ripping.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jacinta Leong
on May 17, 2010 at 1:44:32 am

Thanks, Noah.

I've googled DVD ripping...so much out there! I'm a newbie at this, and I thought it was too much to wade through that I didn't understand. Are there your favourite, maybe top 3, that you'd recommend? Doesn't have to be free. Doesn't have to have bells and whistles. All I need to do is capture about 2 minutes max of video and audio off the DVD (thx for warning...I'm not too worried about breaking copyright law...I'm not making any money from the capture), prob export as .mov so that I can drop it into a Keynote file.
i understand you're busy! Even if there's just a couple of links out there that you could send me to, to help narrow down the field, I'd appreciate it.

cheers,
Jacinta

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2010 at 1:53:21 am

Well sorry but if it were legal to do there'd be more help resources. Handbrake and MPEG Streamclip do what you want- other than that you're on your own.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jacinta Leong
on May 19, 2010 at 11:28:58 pm

Great, Noah. Thanks for the leads, I'll check them out.
Am acquiring the permission from the corp to use the clip, so it is all legal. If it may come to their attention that I am using it, it'll all be fine.
cheers,
Jaicnta

Return to posts index

Jacinta Leong
on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:52:13 am

Hi Noah,
A little tardy on the follow up. The capturing went well using streamclip and hand brake.
Here's a clip. The capturing is at the end.

I have found iStomp is very good on my iMac.

cheers,
Jacinta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]