FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Label Software

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Good
DVD Label Software
on May 13, 2010 at 10:48:40 pm

I'm in need of a free DVD label-making program for Mac. Doing some research and thought I'd post here for some suggestions.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD Label Software
on May 13, 2010 at 11:44:19 pm

I'd suggest the one that comes with your printer. Otherwise just grab any CD or DVD template off the web for Photoshop or Illustrator. Most of the one's that are specifically 'label-making' are like horrible Print Shop type apps for Windows from the '80s.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 14, 2010 at 12:15:35 am

Unless you are talking about printing on the disc itself, don't do it. Never put a label on any DVD.

Return to posts index

Aaron Good
on May 14, 2010 at 12:23:15 am

So, the issue is I'm starting a new position at a non-profit (meaning they aren't going to buy software). I'll look into the printer and see if we have any label software connected to it (based on the organization of the computer I inherited, I doubt it). They used Disc Label which is an awful program and we no longer have access to it. Thankfully.

@Noah: I couldn't agree with you more, but the computer doesn't have any Adobe programs besides acrobat.

@Michael: Why no label? This is the way the company has always done it, and the DVDs are primarily for archival purposes. If there's a harmful effect of sticky labels, I may be able to persuade them against it. Otherwise, not worth fighting.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 14, 2010 at 1:03:33 am

Yeah labels are a big no-no if you are doing long term storage. Because they can easily warp or peel and make a disc unreadable. If it's for internal use you cannot beat a simple sharpie for speed and reliability. If you *really* need something more elegant- get a Lightscribe DVD burner. They're slow but it's much more reliable than slapping labels on.

Other option is get a printer that prints directly onto printable discs. This can get messy but less so than labels. The really high end thermal printers that make perfect indestructible labels cost a fortune.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]