FORUMS: list search recent posts

Toast 8 - adding unwanted letterbox

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephanie tremper
Toast 8 - adding unwanted letterbox
on May 11, 2010 at 2:21:29 pm

I am having trouble with Toast titanium 8 adding a very slim letterbox to my DVD ? I made the dvd several times using footage from different sources ( always quicktimes) at both 720 x 486 and 720 x 480 and it always adds a slim letterbox to the DVD. Does anyone know how to get rid of this?
I have also made 16 x 9 dvds , and they come out just fine. Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Toast 8 - adding unwanted letterbox
on May 11, 2010 at 2:27:03 pm

Can you post a screenshot so we can see what it's doing? Shift-Apple-3. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

stephanie tremper
on May 11, 2010 at 2:53:33 pm

sure

I just tried going into the advanced setting and hit 4x3 instead of automatic and it still had the same letterbox. The files I used to make the dvds came from different sources but they were all 720x 486 or 720 x 480

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 11, 2010 at 3:25:15 pm

That's a very minimal letterbox. I'd guess the source footage isn't scaled properly in FCP and that's being exaggerated in DVDSP. Check your source sequence clips and reset their scale, distort and aspect attributes.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

stephanie tremper
on May 11, 2010 at 3:48:22 pm

I made dvds using qt's exported from avid ( animation codec 720 x 486) and also quicktimes that were 720 x 486 and had apple pro res . I've done several tests using different kinds of footage at different sizes. I;m guessing it's something in settings or preferences in toast itself.

Return to posts index

stephanie tremper
on May 11, 2010 at 3:59:11 pm

So it works if I make the file 640 x 486. they have no more letterbox.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 11, 2010 at 5:16:15 pm

May I humbly advise you to switch to DVD Studio Pro or at least iDVD. Toast is fine for copying disc to disc but it's authoring tools are pretty useless. If you have to go 640x480 to make a usable disc that means you're throwing away about 100 pixels of your picture just to satisfy Toast. Sounds not so good to me. ;-)

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]