FORUMS: list search recent posts

iDVD dilemma - simple DVD, not so simple...

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Clark
iDVD dilemma - simple DVD, not so simple...
on May 11, 2010 at 3:01:37 am

Hello, everyone,

This is an iDVD question - I didn't see a forum category for it, so I've posted here.

We're trying to do something that should be just plain simple - using Apple's cute little iDVD, create a DVD with no menu, which autoplays 1 time and stops. Oh, and we'd like to be able to label the disk, instead of being stuck with their default project name.

We would BREAK open DVD Studio Pro, but we don't want to delve into its intricacies just yet, and iDVD really should, by rights, make the simple disk we need.

In the iDVD help, the instructions seem to say an autoplay disk with no menus is possible, but when we follow the steps, it simply doesn't work - in fact, it plays the video once, then plays the dummy menu (that cannot be deleted, and which they tell you wouldn't play), and it loops just the menu.

The requirements are:
1. autoplay
2. non-looping
3. no menu before or after the video

Any suggestions for how to do this with iDVD?

Many thanks.

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14GB memory - OSX10.5.8 FCP6

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: iDVD dilemma - simple DVD, not so simple...
on May 11, 2010 at 4:06:02 am

iDVD is made to do things there way, even if you want to make things simpler, it doesn't like modifications.

This is something that is super easy to do in DVDSP.
1) Set track to be the first play
2) Delete default menu
3) Set track to stop at the end
4) Build and Format

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 11, 2010 at 2:17:33 pm

Yeah you've outgrown iDVD. And DVDSP is not that tricky to learn. Start with a simple tutorial and you'll quickly see it's worth investing the minimal effort to get far more power and flexibility in your authoring:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/first_play_warmouth.html

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Trace Burroughs
on Mar 7, 2013 at 2:30:31 pm

How do I delete the default menu in idvd? thanks

Trace Burroughs
LME COLLECTIONS
lme-collections.com

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on May 12, 2010 at 3:00:15 am

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I'm sure I could get the hang of DVD Studio Pro, with just a few tutorials. My co-worker, eh, maybe not... he likes to take the simplest route, and has asked me a question specifically about iDVD (which he has on his machine) rather than DVDSP, which he probably hasn't loaded on his machine yet. He was having enough trouble navigating iDVD. [Can I say it... new computer + old guy = ask Ann a lot of questions...]

The Ken Stone method for creating the DVD sounded like it would do the trick. Convincing someone else to load DVDSP on their machine and try those instructions, well...

If iDVD actually did what its help text claims it did, we wouldn't be outgrowing iDVD. Sounds like most people just start learning DVDSP because they've bumped into a problem with iDVD. Thanks, Apple... ;-0

I don't, myself, have much use for making DVDs with nice menus, chapters, markers, etc. We're not that kind of production house. So, I didn't want to learn a new program I'd hardly use myself, and didn't want to have to talk my co-worker through an unfamiliar interface, so he could make one little DVD.

Hey, maybe he could mail me a DVD and I could roll the production onto a DVD with my machine. Oh wait... ;-)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 12, 2010 at 4:56:42 am

[Ann Clark] "Thanks, Apple... ;-0 "
Sorry but that kind of statement pisses me off. Where does Apple talk about be able to customize DVD authoring. iDVD is not for professionals, that is not to say a professional cannot find uses for it, but they should never complain when they hit the wall of something it was never meant to do. It is not a professional authoring tool, if you want to customize a DVD, even if that is making it simpler, you need to use the app they made for that. If you don't want to take the 10 minutes to learn it, you are probably not going to get too sympathy here. Same thing with the other guy, if he doesn't want to learn apps he is in the wrong business.

The only reason to use iDVD is all the pretty menus it has, other than that it is always easier/quicker to author in DVDSP, always.

Don't want to be overly mean, just want to give you a good push in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on May 12, 2010 at 5:22:32 am

Wow, dude.

I don't think you read my post correctly.

The manual says that what we want to do IS possible. I'm not asking for the moon here - just something simple.

The program just wasn't performing to spec -- and I thought I'd do my friend a favor and ask on Creative Cow.

The iDVD documentation really does give instructions for creating exactly what my co-worker wants.

The program just doesn't seem to do what it says it will.

As for Apple, I realize people are very loyal to the company, and for the most part, I am too. They sort of left me disappointed here.

If you know how to make iDVD do what we need it to do, great - let me know.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 12, 2010 at 6:27:52 am

With iDVD you can have the movie start first instead of the menu, but it has to be placed in the menu first which then places it in the project. You go to the mapping screen and drag the movie to the first play icon. But the menu cannot be deleted. the movie is end jump to the menu and then you can start the movie again. So it does what it says it does, it cannot do everything you want it to, the no menu part.

Like I said the point of my post was to push you to a BETTER way, an easier way, a quicker way.

I like apple but I also know there are short comings, as professionals our job is to fine workarounds or find the tool that does what we need. iDVD is NOT for people that what to customize their DVDs, you need to do it their way. That is what it was designed to do.

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on May 12, 2010 at 6:51:21 am

Okay, then their instructions are just a bit wrong. It said that the menu wouldn't play if you follow their directions, but apparently that's not the case.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 12, 2010 at 11:35:57 pm

Yet it is shocking to me the number of pros using iDVD as their primary authoring tool. It's like MS-Paint vs. Photoshop...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
ANSWERED Re: iDVD dilemma - simple DVD, not so simple...
on May 13, 2010 at 12:18:35 am

Really? you find lots of pros using iDVD?

I was actually surprised to find so little reference to iDVD in Creative Cow. I thought at least there might be a small thread or forum on it, but really there was just nothing.

Just for the record, my friend who's making the disk isn't a "pro." He just wanted something fast and dirty -- and as a non-techie, he asked me how to do it. So I asked the Cow.

He's just some guy trying to make some other guy a disk for a one-off sample to send to a festival. At least that's what I gathered.

If you seem to bump into a lot of people using iDVD, it might be worthwhile to start a Creative Cow thread for it. That way, those who want to help answer an iDVD question can do so, and those who desire to GENTLY steer the forum's posters toward DVDSP could do so, too.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: ANSWERED Re: iDVD dilemma - simple DVD, not so simple...
on May 13, 2010 at 12:41:18 am

Don't think Noah was stating that it is a good thing for pros to be using. But the Cow doesn't support non-pro apps. They have to draw a line somewhere. Once again just because a pro find use for an app doesn't make it a pro app.

I tried to help and offer advice and reasoning, as I mentioned that comes off sounding mean, it was not my attention to bash you but I was hoping to get you to see that DVDSP is better AND faster if you just take a few minutes to learn it.

I also helped you do what you wanted, the app does half of what was asked, I never did it before and got the instruction right out of the help file. I didn't see anything about the menu not showing up but that maybe true but the first play worked exactly like the manual said.

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on May 13, 2010 at 1:50:07 am

Your comments were somewhat helpful, but not what was needed for this exercise.

Thanks for your input, though.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 13, 2010 at 3:43:48 pm

Yeah I was saying that as a lament not a plus. I'm surprised in a bad way... DVDSP is pretty easy to learn. I learned it in about 3 hours just by going through the included tutorial. Yeah it has a lot of features, but in truth you need to know maybe 10% of those to actually make most DVDs. The rest is stuff you'll probably never use. And in exchange you get far more professional results than iDVD. Yet...

Noah

Return to posts index

stefan link
on May 14, 2010 at 6:53:51 am

If iDVD cant really cut it for you then you could try Toast.
Easy / but needs 3rd party software: Toast lets you burn your Movie to DVD without menu - just drag the Movie project to the Toast Window - Options>Menu Style>No Menu - check or uncheck Auto Play/Play all items continously .Disadvantage: you'll need to spend some extra $$ for the software if you dont have Toast already installed .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]