FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Menu - button frame highlight fail

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
François de Domahidy
DVD Menu - button frame highlight fail
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:32:03 am

Hi,

using DVDSP 4.2.2, I'm authoring a DVD in PAL Widescreen.
The menu assets are created in Photoshop using the DVPAL Widescreen setting when creating a new document.

The background contains all the graphic elements, including the menu buttons :

- Green text over a white button with a green border
- white text over a green button

I previously created a layered document for the background and the highlights but the menu was unresponsive, like 1 full second to move or activate after pressing.

So I decided to go simple and create an overlay menu. I create 2 files : one flattened TIF image for the background, and one flattened TIF image of black borders for each button on a white background.

Simulating the menu in DVDSP works fine : each buttons border highlights in red and activate in blue.

BUT my issue is the following :

- playing the .img file with VLC, the highlights are GREY with some red scribbles showing on the grey border... At first I thought it was linked to the other layers, so I tried to flatten and export in TIF or JPG, the result was the same

- playing the DVD on a DVD player, the colours are right but the highlights also include the text within the button border...

(And just to be sure, is a slow menu's response time one of the symptom when using the wrong settings in Photoshop - like square pixel instead of DV PAL ?)

I tried using Simple and Advanced with Chroma Mapping : same issue.

Did anyone already had this issue ? I need to maximise compatibility with different kind of players. My biggest concern is the menu highlighting the text while played on a DVD player. Although none of the text area has been added to the overlay document, why does it pick up the green text as well ? Is there a way to negate this side effect ?

Making the highlight with just a line at the bottom or on the side of the button is possible but that's not what I was asked for.

All suggestions and help are welcome, many thanks in advance for your support!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]