FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authoring to DLT

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Cole
Authoring to DLT
on Apr 25, 2010 at 8:46:42 pm

I am switching from the Spruce Maestro System (on a Windows NT box) to DVDSP.

I need to send my finished (in DVDSP) programs to the replicator via DLT. I am having a hard time figuring out how to get my Quantum DLT 4000 connected to my Mac Pro model 3,1. The DLT is an external box with the big parallel type connector.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Authoring to DLT
on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:00:05 am

I'd guess you'd have to look for an ancient PCI to Parallel/SCSI connector. That said- just about all replicators today accept DVD-R as a source master. That's the only thing I've ever used. Some replicators also accept projects as DDP- which gives you all the compatibility of a DLT on a hard drive.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Ron Cole
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:03:24 am

Awesome - thanks.

Return to posts index

Rich Winter
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:25:24 pm

Chances are what you have is not parallel, but rather 50 Pin Centronics SCSI. I'm guessing it's a DLT4000. You can find very cheap cables, cards, drives, etc., on the used market. (ebay, craigslist, etc.)

*- blackbird digital studios
*- dvd design, editorial and production
*- marin county, california, usa
*- http://www.blackbird.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 26, 2010 at 6:25:16 pm

DLT4000 are old SCSI 50 pin connectors (slow) you would have to get a real expensive SCSI and then a SCSI3 to SCSI(1) cable, totally confusing and as Noah said just not necessary unless a client demands it, and there are some that do.

BTW to get the DLT up and running you are probably looking at about $400, plus $50 for the set of tapes.

Return to posts index

Rich Winter
on Apr 28, 2010 at 6:11:38 pm

Costs are far lower than you'd think. Used Adaptec SCSI Cards are about $10 on ebay. The right cable might set you back another $20 or so. That said I wouldn't base my decision on cost.

I still deliver all of my projects on DLT as it's a more reliable medium than a dvd-r (especially for DVD-9's). I find that clients are far happier spending a little bit more on a few blank tapes up front, than running into an issue at replication.

*- blackbird digital studios
*- dvd design, editorial and production
*- marin county, california, usa
*- http://www.blackbird.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 28, 2010 at 7:24:47 pm

[Rich Winter] "Used Adaptec SCSI Cards are about $10 on ebay. The right cable might set you back another $20 or so"

Not that will work in a new Mac Pro.

I have a G4 867 that pretty much is my wifes email computer and my DLT system.

While more and more places would rather not get DLTs I do like them for DVD-9s just like you said.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 30, 2010 at 5:57:24 am

We use a firewire to SCSI adapter: https://store.hotwire-digital.com/products.php?product=Ratoc-SCSI-to-FireWi...

might be more than you'd like to spend. But it works well.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 2, 2010 at 4:02:15 am

Hey, Juan,

How do you have your DLT drive hooked up, I have that adapter but never got it to work, bought it years ago and it is in a box something. I would using it with a DLT4000 which might have been the issue.

I have a DLT800 and guess I would need an adapter for the cable but do you have to have a power adapter also.

Is the drive showing up in DVDSP?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]