FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay Authoring

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Weiner
BluRay Authoring
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:20:13 pm

OK, I have been reading posts here and searching, and reading some more but am left with some questions about how to encode for files for BluRay DVD so that the disc will work in both the US and Europe.

There was a link on COW that explained how to user Compressor 3.x to compress FCP sequences using Mpeg2 codec and changing the transport stream to something (I forget as am I writing... sorry). Then combining the resulting .m2v and .ac3 with Mpeg StreamClip to make a TS file to burn it with Toast 9. (I use compressor 3.5 and Toast 10) The method worked brilliantly and I can play this BluRay Disc on a Sony Desktop player and HD TV 1080i in the US.

However, will this disc play on a BluRay player in Europe?

Questions and or misunderstandings:

1) Source Material was a 29.97 AVI file but had a proper 3:2 put into it. I re-encoded it first using Compressor to ProResHQ so FCP could handle it- keeping it at 29.97. Then using the Mpeg2 method for Toast/BluRay prep, kept it at 29.97. Is this going to be a problem in Europe? Do I need to be at 23.98? I can reverse telecine it with Cinema Tools to either 24 or 23.98. (I assume for compatibility, I want 23.98) OR is this just a waste of time and European BluRay setups (the player and or TV in HD) don't care. If so, I am done.

2) In the future, when I am mastering a real BluRay disc for replication, should my encodes be at 29.97 or 23.98? One disc will be available in the US and Europe.

3) Am I missing the boat here and there is something I need to do or stop doing?

Thanks
Doug

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: BluRay Authoring
on Apr 3, 2010 at 4:48:59 am

If you can remove the pulldown to do to 23.98 you always want to. There is no reason to leave it 29.97. Are you editing in FCP?

You cannot author BluRay for replication with Toast so if that is in your future you probably need to look at NetBlender.

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
on Apr 3, 2010 at 7:25:59 am

Doug,

All European players can play the NTSC frame rates, so you are good to go. (Unfortunately most US players cannot do the reverse).

As Michael said, none of the Mac authoring options offer premastering for replication. However our product, BluStreak Premaster, will replicate from any authored build folder (BDMV).

http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com

Regards,

Larry Applegate
http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com/

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:22:50 pm

I'm hoping to see a more robust Blu-ray prosumer authoring workflow this year at NAB. It's been a struggle so far.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Doug Weiner
on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:43:41 pm

Thanks all.

I am going for replication, So I just purchased a copy of DVDit Pro HD. From the promo material looks good. From the forums, looks like it could be a big headache. I will see. All I really need is a way to create a halfway decent basic menu systems to play the individual movies on this compilation disk. We are a small company and investing upwards of 5,000 for mastering software seems steep. However, if I can not make DVDit Pro HD work, well, off to NetBlender and DoStudio.

Thanks
Doug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]