FORUMS: list search recent posts

menu aspect and pixel settings

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
menu aspect and pixel settings
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:24:16 pm

need advice on how to take a psd menu in 3200x1800 (pixel dimensions 16.5M) Bicubic and keep the sharpest downsized image. The media is 720x404 . when I downsize (this is a ridiculously large file to shrink down...but it's what the client wants soo...)

ok.. the media is 720x404. (apple compressed m2vs). When I downsize the menu in photoshop I get 720x405. When I import it into DVDSP it gets slightly skewed.. making the text not clear. I'm wondering what pixel aspect ration I should be downconverting to. DVNTSC 4:3 and then let set DVDSP to letterbox/panscan to stretch out? tried that but didn't work great. any ideas?

I'm stuck with these assets and it hs to be done by order of the client (even though I don't agree with the way it was provided) but what's the best way? I'm thinking of re-doing all the text in DVDSP.. not sure what will achieve the optimal results under the circumstances. trying everything.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
Re: menu aspect and pixel settings
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:30:26 pm

BTW: forgto to mention that original menu (3200x1800) is in square pixels...

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:39:03 pm

wondering if I should change the original psd menu to rectangular pixels... then downsize.. the 720x404 video content looks good in rectangular obviously..

Return to posts index

Rich Winter
on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:17:30 pm

Scale down from 3200x1800 to 720x480 using Bicubic Sharper. You'll have an anamorphic image at this point, but if you change the pixel aspect ratio to widescreen, you'll see it in its correct aspect ratio.

*- blackbird digital studios
*- dvd design, editorial and production
*- marin county, california, usa
*- http://www.blackbird.tv

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:58:04 pm

thanks so, I downconvert to 4:3 720x240 and then use letterbox/panscan in DVDSP to expand it out?

Return to posts index

Rich Winter
on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:09:00 pm

exactly.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:38:50 pm

thanks for the help. looks great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>