FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback malfunctions...

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sami Abusamra
Playback malfunctions...
on Mar 30, 2010 at 1:32:04 pm

Hi there.

I'm a bit stumped on this one, hope someone can help me out.

I recently delivered 3 copies of a DVD to a client for approval. Needless to say the simulation worked fine when tested in DVD Studio Pro and in the interest of fastidiousness I also checked the discs in my Macbook once they'd burned. All three functioned fine (perhaps a little sluggish getting between menus & tracks but nothing alarming).

The client contacted me yesterday to say that only one of the discs functioned, one was not readable at all and the other spent most of it's time "skipping over damaged area."

Worth noting that he tried in his computer (PC I think, though I'm not sure) and also in a DVD player.

If all of them functioned/malfunctioned in the same way I'd feel like I had something to go off but the discrepancy between the three is what's baffling me.

I'm 99% sure that the 3rd disc could not have actually been scratched (it certainly wasn't when it was sent) which makes me think it might be that I'm using dodgy media?

I'm using DVD+R DL discs (the project is 5.4Gb). I've been sniffing around online forums a couple of hours but can't find any particularly relevant advice.

Any ideas (even the vaguest hunches!) would be gratefully received.

Sami

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Playback malfunctions...
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:08:31 pm

Hi Sami,

I've authored countless DVDs without issue, but I've never tried a DL disc myself due to the incompatibilities I keep hearing about, so I have to wonder if that is part of the issue and maybe you'd be better off delivering DVD-R (4.7GB)?

How long is your project? Maybe it can be configured to fit a single-layer disc instead

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Sami Abusamra
Re: Playback malfunctions...
on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:09:11 pm

Thanks Jeff.

Won't fit on a single layer though I'm afraid. It's a Live DVD for a band so we're talking 90ish minutes of concert plus various extras. Sum total at least 140-150mins.

Client is unwilling to spread on to two discs and the possibility of sacrificing a couple of extras in order to get on to a single layer was also dismissed.

I fear it does have to be a DL... if only I can make the thing work!

Sami

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]