FORUMS: list search recent posts

Menu Resolution

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
Menu Resolution
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:31:53 pm

I'm working with an SD project with video dimensions of 854x480. The menu psd files supplied by the client are in 3200x1800, 72dpi. The aspect is the same but my question : when downrez'd to 854x480, the menus begin to lose cripsness when played on an HD tv. Should I just keep the menu sizes as they are when authoring the DVD to retain crispness even though they will be down-converted...or should I downrez to the actual video size when inserting those assets as DVD menus? Which will achieve the best results? will it even matter? I should state that these menu's have text on them, etc. I could remove the text and recreate all the text in the DVD menu itself... but it's a ton of added work.. not opposed to that. but looking for advice.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Menu Resolution
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:36:39 pm

Definitely downsize in Photoshop. There are many different options for downrezzing in Photoshop when you resize. So experiment with each one to see what looks best.

Also would help to remind the client that they are designing at far too large a resolution for DVD and they may need to resize elements on the page for readibility. At least make them aware. And if it fall to you to recreate by all means charge for your time. Never work for free on stuff like that...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:44:59 pm

thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:25:12 pm

You will always lose sharpness because you are enlarging an SD rez to HD rez. But if you drop in a still at 854x480, DVDSP still has to resize that down to 720x480, I prefer to let PS do that, Then when you bring in the still you make sure that it is set to 16:9 Letterbox(or Pan and Scan). That keeps any conversion out of the hands of DVDSP.

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:10:55 pm

great . i'll downsize the stills in psd as 854x480 jpgs. thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:48:47 pm

I wouldn't do that- just adds image noise. Resize the final version to 720x480 BMP or to a flattened PSD- that gives you no image compression and sets the proper aspect ratio for 16:9 anamorphic.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]