FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Disc Publishers

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Blair
DVD Disc Publishers
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:28:08 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this but it comes the closest to the topic.

We're getting more jobs where we have to author and burn 100 to 1000 DVDs for clients and it's a pain to send the jobs out to a duplication facility where we can only make about $.25 markup per disc (if we're lucky).

Clients are ALSO realizing they can send the job out to a duplication facility themselves and save that extra quarter per disc (no I'm not kidding).

We'd like to keep more of that money in-house if possible as it could add up to $25-$40,000/year in duplication revenue that we're giving to duplication houses. We'd still use a duplication facility for large runs.

So...we're looking at buying a short-run disc publisher (50-100 autoloading at a time). I was wondering if anyone out there is doing this, what they're using and if it's cost-effective. The models we're looking at are in the $2500-$3000 range, appear robust and get good reviews. Their print costs are estimated at about $.22/disc and below, with disc costs at between $.30 and $.60 depending on whether you use standard or watershield media. So at $2-$4 per disc depending on the size of the run, we could keep quite a bit of that money in-house and turn the jobs around faster.

The models are:

Epson Disc Producer
Primera Bravo XR or Bravo Xi2
Microboards MX2

Also...is anyone getting requests and actually doing large run duplication to Blu-ray? We haven't had a single project that's gone out to Blu-ray, even when we produce something in HD the clients STILL want regular old standard definitiion DVD for their trade-shows, sales meetings etc. Seems like a waste to me...but that's what they're using.

Thanks for any input from anyone.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD Disc Publishers
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:51:43 pm

I think we're still a year or two away from Blu-ray large run dup projects. Personally I think we'll get to 100% downloadable content before that happens. Blu-ray is likely to be the last major physical media format for content. But that's just my opinion.

I like the Primera gear the most of what you've got there.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]