FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion highlights on DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Tyne
motion highlights on DVDs
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:29:58 am

I author DVDs and one thing that has always eluded me is making a highlight for a button ‘grow’

So rather the user having a typical static highlight, when the user selects the button (not active the button) the highlight element grows.

I have tried doing this as a sub picture (black element with white back ground) with no effect, and also by putting the growing element in a video drop box which doesn’t work either.

I was wondering if anyone has some other ideas, or knows if it’s possible,

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: motion highlights on DVDs
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:16:29 pm

Can't be done- a DVD highlight has only an on or off form- it cannot be a moving graphic as you could do in flash.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Mar 23, 2010 at 6:36:11 pm

I think if you use Photoshop you can do something like that. Not sure you could do it with a motion menu, but if it's a still you could have a "clone" menu pop up directly over the other one with a bigger button and it would look like only the button was growing. Kinda hard but I think that is doable.

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Mar 23, 2010 at 6:57:31 pm

I looked into this further cause I like the effect. The answer is definitely to use a "Layered Menu." You'd have to create it in Photoshop though and those "bigger" buttons would actually be on separate layer so when you roll over it it shows that bigger button. Again not sure if you can do it with a motion menu but I'll bet you could. Maybe Noah could weigh in on that....

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 23, 2010 at 7:55:50 pm

Highlights are never in motion. While you can get more creative highlights with layered menus it is not recommend, do a quick search for all the reasons why.

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:17:52 am

Actually animated 8bit overlays are possible in DVD. I did a test years ago and it turned out looking fairly good. You can find them on the Spiderman discs and a couple others Ive seen. Not possible to do in DVDSP. Only with Scenarist or the Toshiba tool and AfterEdit of course.

http://dvdafteredit.com/node/37

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 25, 2010 at 12:58:01 am

yeah, my post had that side note (Spiderman is the only Hollywood released DVD I've seen) Sorry, just tried to keep the answer simple. Since I don't think you can simulate a "grow"

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]