FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decrease File Size for HDV footage for iDVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark wonderlin
Decrease File Size for HDV footage for iDVD
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:08:24 am

I have about an hour and a half of HDV footage and some motion graphics with chapter markers from FCP. I'm doing a direct export to a QuickTime movie reference file for 3 large videos and 3 smaller videos. Because of the file sizes I can only fit it on a double layer but because I'm duplicating these I know I should be using a single layer for compatibility not to mention my multi-burner will not burn double layer.

The total size of all the content is about 5.5GB. What can I do to fit this on a single layer DVD using iDVD and FCP? The catch is I absolutely have to keep the chapter markers. When I tried using Compressor, iDVD would not recognize the chapter markers which are essential.

Please Help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Decrease File Size for HDV footage for iDVD
on Mar 23, 2010 at 2:10:37 pm

It sounds like you are new to DVD creation. I don't use the Mac, but I think you're taking the wrong approach, seems like you are creating the QuickTime movies to try and get the material to fit the DVD when in fact you need to be exporting to "MPEG-2 for DVD", in which case you'll have no problem at all fitting your 90 minutes of material on a single-layer DVD.

I'm sure a Mac user will chime in here and can give you the proper workflow for your setup.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

mark wonderlin
on Mar 23, 2010 at 2:22:24 pm

Thanks, I'm familiar with the MPEG-2 codec but when I use apple compressor to convert to MPEG-2 I can not use that file format with iDVD. I tested MPEG-2 with DVD Studio Pro and it retains the chapter markers but I'm not very well versed in DVD Studio Pro.

I was hoping there was a work around to retain chapter markers, reduce file size, and use iDVD.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 23, 2010 at 6:29:03 pm

Yeah MPEG-2 is what it is and in iDVD you have little control over the final size. If the DVD is coming out too large you're trying to squeeze too long a program onto the disc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]