FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating masters on DLT LTO or DVD-R

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Creating masters on DLT LTO or DVD-R
on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:36:56 pm

Some years ago I bought a used DLT drive, having heard that you really should send a DLT to the replicator/duplicator instead of a DVD. But now, it's been years since a client or replicator has asked for a DLT master. My DLT drive is sitting on a shelf, unused.

Since then, I've bought an LTO3 drive (HP StorageWorks Ultrium 920), which is my primary means of archiving.

two questions:

1. is it still "best practice" to send a DVD master to replicators or duplicators on tape rather than DVD?
2. If so, can I just use LTO3, or do I need to keep the DLT drive in the chain?

I have a small office and every device counts. I'd rather eBay or FreeBay the DLT drive if it isn't really necessary.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Creating masters on DLT LTO or DVD-R
on Mar 16, 2010 at 4:48:43 pm

There's one single reason to use DLR- to preserve macrovision and CSS flags. ( which of course can be broken in 4 seconds). You can know do that same thing with a DDP version of your DVD-R master. LTO is completely useless for DVD making- no replicator I know of uses this. Personally I just make unprotected DVD-R masters for everything. Same quality and you don't mess around with pointless copy protection.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 16, 2010 at 4:58:35 pm

[Noah Kadner] "one single reason"

The other reason (my reason) for DLT was that it has fewer errors than a DVD.

That was really my question: if I use good media (e.g. Taiyo-Y), can I just use a DVD-R.

It appears the answer is yes.

Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:00:34 pm

I'd only send DDP images on DLT or pen drive to the replicator. You;'re basically replicator a bunch of DVD-Rs by sending a disc as a master...not to mention write errors. A DVD-9 is a complete no no if you care about where your layer break must be. Stay with DLT if you plan to replicate in the future.

Trai has a somewhat fatalistic attitude but his article here makes sense. Ive personally seen these same issues and avoid them by delivering DDP images on DLT or HDD only.

http://www.dvdverification.com/public/92.cfm

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 16, 2010 at 6:59:16 pm

yes that is the technically more correct way. But in practice I've used only DVD-Rs as masters for years on replication jobs and never had a single problem. I use companies like Discmakers, DubIt, etc...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 16, 2010 at 8:50:46 pm

Ditto on Noah's comments, for single-layer jobs, no issues creating DVD-R master for replicator. Use good media, and burn at a slower speed to ensure a quality burn for the master.

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:05:50 pm

Yeah...I guess this is where we are in DVD these days :( These used to be fatal mistakes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]