FORUMS: list search recent posts

defective manufactured DVDs - DDP related?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Brandt
defective manufactured DVDs - DDP related?
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:18:03 pm

I have authored about a dozen DVDs thus far in DVDSP, and supplied the manufacturers with DDP 2.0 files on DVD-Rs for replication. So far, no problems.

Recently I had two jobs at a new manufacturer, one a DVD-5 (total 4GB) the other a DVD-9 (total 8.2GB). Both played perfectly on the Simulator and as burned DVDs on my DVD players and computer DVD drives. DDP 2.0s were supplied. The results were a disaster from the manufacturer:

1)DVD-9, first pressing: this had a feature and bonus interview. The interview simply would not play.

2)DVD-9, second pressing: I reauthored (but really didn't change anything), now interview would play but was out of sync for the first few seconds, then settled in. I looked at the timeline for the interview and saw there was no audio under the title screen, so blank audio was created to fill the gap. I don't know if this was necessary, it was in sync on my playable copy.

3) DVD-9, third pressing: interview would not play again!

The DVD plant suggested that they should manufacture from my playable DVD rather than a DDP, which they did. The fourth pressing now works perfectly.

Now, for the DVD-5: a simple DVD, only one feature (no extras). Goes through the FBI/title sequence, to main menu where you choose the language and launch the film. Again, I supplied a DDP 2.0. Manufactured DVDs arrive, pop in player, player churns for a while and begins playing the feature directly!

DVD plant suggests manufacturing from my playable copy again, so I send them that. I should have the result tomorrow.

I was under the impression that industry standard was to supply DDPs for manufacture, or is this old fashioned now? Why do you think the new replication plant is having so much trouble with manufacturing from DDPs, when my previous plant didn't? I should point out that these new DVDs were authored on the same version of DVDSP and the same computer that made the previous successful DVDs.

The biggest problem now is that the replicator wants to charge me for the 3000 discs that had to be scrapped. They claim that they never encountered this problem before. Do I have a case here, and how can I prove it?

Thank you
Brian

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: defective manufactured DVDs - DDP related?
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:38:07 pm

I never bother with DDPs. Every disc I've ever replicated came from a regular DVD-R master and worked perfectly.

As for the 3000 discs that they made of the defective disc. In my opinion you don't owe them a dime for that. If they didn't bother to QC the master that's their mistake. Of course that doesn't guarantee that they're not going to send credit collectors and/or sue you if you don't pay them... But I'd get with a lawyer on that one pronto and send a letter regarding why you don't think you should pay because I'd imagine we're talking about a sizable chunk of change. Never use them again btw...

With so many replicators out there I personally have a zero tolerance policy. If they even slightly mess up a single job I go elsewhere.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Brian Brandt
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:55:01 pm

Hi Noah

Thanks for your quick response. I'm curious why you always replicate from playable DVD-Rs. I had been told that these can be more prone to problems: additional error correction, etc. And that even the slightest surface blemish can be a problem.

DDPs, I was told, are more stable and less prone to errors.

So, are DDPs a thing of the past, like DLTs? Why bother with them?

And, is there any technical reason why the very same project, output as a playable DVD-R and a DDP should end up manufactured with different results?

Thanks
Brian

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 12, 2010 at 12:19:45 am

I've made probably 25 large replicated DVD runs over the years with maybe 5 different replicators and all but one were from DVD-R. The first was from DLT- then I realized it was totally superfluous. Any good replicator of today will not require DDP or DLT at all and going from DVD-R is zero difference.

Yet- I'm sure somewhere in their process that's exactly what blew up your master- assuming no authoring errors. At this point it's less a technical issue and more a legal one. Read your replication contract. If they really insist you pay for 3000 discs that are unusable and you disagree you may well end up in court.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]