FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD DVD in Encore from 1080i footage

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Havard Rydning
SD DVD in Encore from 1080i footage
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:57:35 pm

Hello!

We are editing a tv-series 1080 50i and need to encode SD PAL DVDs to clients and producers.

We edit in Avid and use Encore CS3 for Authoring.

Ive tried both exporting in HD from Avid and downscaling in Encore, and scaling down to an SD file from Avid and encoding in Encore.

Both ways I get interlace flicker on the final DVD. Ive tried encoding both in upper end lower field, but it semes that it is the HD fields that are the problem.

There has to be an easy way to make SD DVDs from HD material.

Seriously, this is 2010, I cant belive Adobe and Avid have not included some sort of downscaling option that deals with interlace issues. If not they both seriously suck...

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter!

Howie :)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: SD DVD in Encore from 1080i footage
on Mar 9, 2010 at 2:28:16 am

If you see interlace phasing that could be more a PAL/NTSC issue than downconversion.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: SD DVD in Encore from 1080i footage
on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:01:04 pm

Hi Howie,

You are correct that the software ought to be able to handle this but, it doesn't! Premiere CS4 includes the Adobe Media Encoder, and in that encoder is a hidden button for "high quality", and when checked, it does a good job of downscaling, but also takes a very long time.

I understand you are using CS3, so that doesn't help you. Perhaps a third-party encoder would suit your needs. You could encode to MPEG-2 for DVD, then Import the results into Encore. Consider Sorenson Squeeze 6, Telestream Episode Pro, or Grass Valley ProCoder. I know Squeeze has a trial version, not sure about other two.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Leng Ong
DVD's in Encore
on Aug 16, 2010 at 4:50:14 am

Hi, I'm new in Encore and have exported a hd video from premiere to make a dvd in encore, however the quality that is outputting is very poor and flickering that i can't use it. I am assuming it has something to do with my transcode settings or output settings in premiere. It's frustrating to have a good quality video degraded once i make my dvd. Any help would be appreciated :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]