FORUMS: list search recent posts

2+ hour production on DVD-R disc

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
barbara daly
2+ hour production on DVD-R disc
on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:43:27 pm

I have a 2 hour 20 minute production that I'd like in full quality on a standard 4.7 DVD. I was wondering if I'd be able to achieve this by sending the FCP onto tape then re-uploading and creating another FCP with the final quicktime program. I'm probably far from clear on my explanation due to my lack of technical language. Any chance anyone out there can help this troubled soul. Many thanx. b

b

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: 2+ hour production on DVD-R disc
on Mar 7, 2010 at 11:09:26 pm

What would going to a Tape and then capture it back accomplish?

There is no way to get "full quality" on a DVD, DVD is highly compressed and is always a compromise and putting over 2 hours on a DVD-R (5) is even a bigger compromise.

But all you do is export the movie to a self contained QT movie then use Compressor to encode the video to an m2v and audio to ac3 file. DO a search for more detailed info, posted all the time.

Average bitrate for a 140 minute video (with ac3 stereo) is 4.1 Mbps.

Return to posts index

barbara daly
on Mar 9, 2010 at 2:55:49 am

Thank you so much!
I have compressed using the settings: m2v and audio to ac3 file. It all looks great except where there are very dark scenes then I get a lot of pixelated video. Could this be due to my settings or an indication the video ought to be burned onto two full DVDs?
I appreciate your help.
Barbara

b

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:37:51 pm

Yeap, that is a low bitrate and while I'm a fan of Compressor when you get down to that low it starts to suffer. Dark scenes are challenging to encode. If you are replicating the disc you should think about a DVD-9, it would be much cheaper than 2 DVD-5s, also have to swap out disc in the middle of a movie is almost unheard of these days.

Return to posts index

barbara daly
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:49:58 pm

Thanks Michael. Would the same be true if I'm duplicating rather than replicating?

b

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]