FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poor Quality Standard Def DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen Dau
Poor Quality Standard Def DVDs
on Mar 7, 2010 at 12:43:38 am

Hi guys and Gals here's my story. I create wedding DVD's for clients, I shoot with the Sony HVR-Z1P (HDV format) Editing is with FCP 7. The Clients get a standard def. DVD. Blue ray is not yet popular in my town, how ever I plan to buy a blue-ray burner soon. The issues I am having are related to aliasing during DVD play back on my Samsung Full HD monitor. (you know them jaggies and rough edges around the highlights region and in general the images are a little soft) All of my monitoring use to be with a Standard Def. CRT TV and the footage looked fine. Now when I view on the Full HD monitor my DVD's look very poor at times and soft and out of focus some times. Could this be a SD vs HD issue, could it be an interlaced problem as the flat screen is 1920x1080p or is it an aliasing problem? Can any one shed some light on the situation please. And suggest how I might get the best quality SD DVDs.

Steve

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Poor Quality Standard Def DVDs
on Mar 7, 2010 at 6:49:08 am

It can be all of the above. But HD TVs handle interlaced just fine. Not all HD is progressive. The main question is how is the DVD being upscaled to fill the TV. If you are playing it through a normal DVD and the TV is handling the upscaling that can be a serious hit on quality. Also how is the DVD connected to the TV.

For better results a BluRay player (some of the 1st gen didn't do a job job of upscaling either) or a DVD that upscales to HD.

Also try other retail SD DVDs to judge the quality against something, but most of them are coming from a progressive source.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Poor Quality Standard Def DVDs
on Mar 7, 2010 at 6:09:09 pm

Yeah I'd suggest moving up to a 24p camera- that would at least give you a progressive output signal. Sure HDTV can play interlaced standard definition footage but they look much better when upconverting a 24p source.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]