FORUMS: list search recent posts

h.264 to dvd

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey DePasquale
h.264 to dvd
on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:35:37 am

I had an HDV 1080i project in FCP. I exported it as a h.264 using QT conversion.Now I need to burn a DVD but DVD Studio pro does not except this format, and iDVD makes the file 4:3 even though the iDVD project is set to 16:9. It also won't open in compressor.

Is there anything I can do with out having to re-export from FCP...I have mpeg streamclip, can I do something with that?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: h.264 to dvd
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:33:19 am

You can convert it in compressor to m2v, but you should go back to FCP and reexport the movie. Making the movie h264 is the worst thing you can do for quality of the m2v. Export self contained, current settings, take that into compressor and encode. or this new movie can be brought into DVDSP but that is not recommended.

This gets asked almost weekly so you can search for more info if you need it.

Return to posts index

Joey DePasquale
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:40:51 am

Hi,

thanks. What I did was converted it to ProRes 422 w/ mpg streamclip, then imported that into DVDSP and it looks good. The main concern was that iDVD was cutting off the edges of the picture, so I needed a way to get to DVDSP. Thank you though because now I know for the future not to waste the time to export an H.264 file...it took over 15 hours for a 25min short film.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:49:00 am

Well you are definitely doing it the hard way and have reduced the quality quite a bit.

Why wouldn't you just use compressor to make the m2v file and be done with it, why spend the time doing to ProRes and then letting DVDSP do the m2v encoding.

But it would have been just as quick to reexport the movie from FCP, used compressor to eliminate the hit you took when going to H264.

Return to posts index

Joey DePasquale
on Mar 5, 2010 at 7:36:26 am

The main reason was it took over 11 hours to export the first time (I started at 6am, left, got back and it didn't finish until 5pm) and I have a film festival deadline tomorrow (or today now) and I did not want to risk it, so it was because of the specific case. Also, I accidentally uninstalled FCP when I was installing DVDSP, so I would have had to wait another 45min or so for that to download. But again, now I know for the future.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:23:11 pm

Yeah why does H.264 keep getting into the MPEG-2 mix. It's like saying oh I need to FedEx this, let me mail it to a FedEx office in another state first so they can send it for me from there.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 7, 2010 at 6:54:51 am

[Noah Kadner] "Yeah why does H.264 keep getting into the MPEG-2 mix"
For real. To make matters worse Compress has a H.264 for DVD Studio Pro listed in the Create a new settings drop down menu. Of course that is for HD DVD which we are know is coming along just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]