FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro authored + burnt on MacBookPro BUT DVD not playing back

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donia Mili
DVD Studio Pro authored + burnt on MacBookPro BUT DVD not playing back
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:51:19 am

Hello:

I am encountering a pretty big issue as I try to burn a master copy of my film to be sent for DVD duplication Yesterday!

Anyway, the film was an Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 file converted into QuickTime with the default settings... the results are:

22.68 GB

Dimensions: 720X480

Duration: 01:47:06

Then this very file was imported into DVD Studio Pro 4, and we built a menu for it.. the assets are as follows:

-DVD Menu Page.mov (video)
- DVD menu song in aif format.
-Video file of my film
-Audio file of my film in .mov format

Everything went fine, and then I inserted the DVD that was made (it is a DVD-R) into my MacBook Pro… and the DVD menu first came on, I clicked scene selection, and no chapters responded. and then the DVD player would not respond to any of my moves, from main menu on the DVD to the actual DVD player play/stop buttons.

This is to be the master for my film, it will then be duplicated commercially… does anybody have a clue as to what is going on?

I may be getting paranoid, but I had my film’s audio mixed in 5.1 surround sound, which I was then able to bring into FCP 6.0.6 (my sound editor did not think I would be able to) and insert with the video tracks of my film.
We first tried, in order to preserve the quality of the surround mix, we first tried to import the 6 audio files 5.1 mixed into DVD studio pro, directly, and it gave us 6 audio assets that DVD studio could not read, it can only read one audio track, or so it seems.
So then we converted the whole FCP file, that is the video tracks + its six audio tracks in one QT conversion.

Thanking you in advance for any suggestions, and ideas.

Donia

Donia

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Studio Pro authored + burnt on MacBookPro BUT DVD not playing back
on Mar 4, 2010 at 4:48:40 am

Sorry but you are doing so many things wrong.

The 5.1 files need to be encoded as Dolby Digital ac3 5.1 file in Compressor.
Video should also be encoded before bringing it into DVDSP with Compressor.

As far as the DVD is concerned it sounds like none of the navigation was set.

DVDSP is a pretty straight forward program but you have to spend time learning it. Especially if you are going to replication on a major project.

If you need help authoring please contact me off list.

But if you want try it yourself my guess is
The buttons don't have the left/right/up/down navigation set. Sounds like no end jumps are programmed in either.

my email is onthecow (at) michaelangelodv (dot) com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 4, 2010 at 4:29:02 pm

No offense but it's clear you have never done any authoring before. Are you sure you want to spend the money to get this thing replicated commercially? Uncompressed audio should never used and 5.1 encoding is not done in dvdsp. What you video bitrates? Do you know there are limits? Do you know the right way to deliver an image to the replicator? You need to know these answers before moving on!!! :)

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:56:33 pm

None taken...

But for the record, this is the process I followed with this film project:
I am an independent filmmaker, who can film, produce, and edit. I do not, however, have any experience with DVD authoring, and that is why -despite a limited self-funded budget- I hired another professional filmmaker, with experience in DVD authoring, among other things...
He set up the DVD Studio Project for my film, and once I ran into trouble, he became unavailable all of a sudden; not to mention and he and the sound editor convinced me that they knew what they were doing with DVD Studio Pro.

Then, I went on the Creative Cow forum dedicated to DVD authoring, and I read several posts to see if I could find answers... lastly, I posted my post to get some answers.

In short, I have done the best I could with the resources that I have, and in the context I am in...

And this latest obstacle is a "gift" in a way, as I am Now aware that I was doing it wrong, and the people getting paid to do it right for my project, were also doing it wrong.

Donia

Donia

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 5, 2010 at 6:49:56 pm

It hard to say what going on with your project since Im not in the room but it sounds as if you haven't made the chapter connection in DVDSP.

Also its important to do a bit budget first to get the correct bitrate for your project. do a search for a bitrate calculator. Don't use aif audio - use AC3 since its takes up less bandwidth (your limited to around 10 mb/s in DVD).

DVD can be a complicated process and is, in my opinion, as important or more important as any other part of your production since this is what people see. You never want to set some bitrate willy nilly and drop a QT into DVDSP and hit burn. This is for amuteurs - which you are not Donia. To teach you DVDSP and DVD on a forum like this would be impossible. That would be like saying " Hey, I bought new RED, how do I use it?" on the RED Forum. :)

I would get a good book on DVDSP and search youtube and google for video tutorials first. Learn the basics of the technology and go from there. The basic are very simple to know and there are a few "must knows" before you author.

1. Video bitrates need to be under a certain limit
2. audio format and how they affect overall birates
3. DVD is a linear technology and is 20 years old (yes..20! very old) which means a video piece needs to have a beginning and an end. Once the end as been reach, the laser needs to go somewhere. Once you reaLly understand this, you will know what can be done and what cannot. Also it helps you make your menu designs better. who wants to see an ugly jump in video once a menu loops...right? :)
4. Delivery to a replicator or Duplicator (the 2 terms are different) can be a sticky process. Know the pitfalls.

Return to posts index

Donia Mili
on Mar 5, 2010 at 10:02:17 pm

Thank you Maestro!

I have definitely, and unconsciously, underestimated the DVD making process... and yes, you are right, it is Also an important part of production. I am humbled by this lesson, and I now know more.

Oh, and Michael Sacci (he replied to this thread) walked me through the process, and what a difference! I can hear the surround sound now -it was converted as you wrote above, in an .ac3 file for DVD SP- and the video quality -compressed in an .m2v file- is so much better.
And, of course, the navigation was "adjusted" in DVD SP, but you already knew that!

I feel Blessed.

Ciao Eric

Donia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]