FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use a USB Drive as a DVD Video Disc?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Newman
Use a USB Drive as a DVD Video Disc?
on Feb 25, 2010 at 7:38:47 pm

Is this Possible??

There is no option in either DVD Studio Pro or in Toast 10 Titanium Pro to be able to do this.

I want to use a USB Pen Drive as a burnt DVD Video Disc, so when a User connects it to their Mac or PC it loads/pops up/behaves like the user has just entered a DVD Video Disc.

So far i have created the Menus, Tracks etc. in DVD Studio Pro and then burnt that disc as a .img file to my HDD. I then want to burn that image file to a USB Pen Drive (Memory Stick) formatted as a DVD.

One other attempt i made was to use Disk Utility to 'Restore' the .img file to the Memory stick but it was having none of it.

can this be done?

Thanks

Dan Newman

MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250HDD, NVIDIA 512MB GPU
iMac 3.06Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB, ATi 512mb GPU
Final Cut Studio 3

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Use a USB Drive as a DVD Video Disc?
on Feb 25, 2010 at 11:35:43 pm

Daniel,

First step is to copy the Video_TS folder to the root of the USB drive. To use the USB drive as a DVD substitute on a PC, you need to do a drive substitution, which makes a directory appear as a drive to the operating system. Type Windows+r and type "command" into the run window. Hit enter and that opens the DOS command interface. Type "subst Y: E:/" -- substitute any unused drive letter for Y, and substitute the actual drive letter assigned to your USB drive for E. Hit enter, and any DVD player software should play your USB drive same as if it were a DVD disc inserted into a DVD drive. You can even have multiple DVDs on your USB drive by copying each Video_TS folder into its own directory. Then you do a drive substitution for each folder.

I don't know if there is any way to do this on a Mac.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Feb 26, 2010 at 12:01:25 am

In MacOS, just open DVD Player.app and choose "Open DVD Media" from the file dropdown. Navigate to the folder containing the Video_TS folder and open it. DVD Player will run it just like it's a DVD. If you wanted to automate the process a bit, you could write a little app in Apple Script or even Automator. Put it in the flash drive as the "Launcher" sorta icon and when you open it, it opens the files in DVD Player.app for the user.

Return to posts index

Stef Hilhorst
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:23:54 pm

Hello Daniel.

Is it als posible to make a dvd on a usb so i kan play it on anny pc without making the Dos programming.
Like this.
I put a usb in a pc or laptop ennywhere i like, and it starts with the Intro i have made, and after the intro hase played, the dvd menu apears so i kan navigate to make my choise what i like to see.
Other words, the usb hafe the same behavior like a dvd.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Stef Hilhorst

Return to posts index

David Barritt
on Jun 23, 2014 at 8:37:22 am

Hi, do you have more information on this and will it work the same if the USB is inverted onto Mac?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Jude D Anantth
on Feb 19, 2015 at 6:50:59 am

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the post. Please let me know if i can use the same USB in Television set also..

Thanks

With Warm Regards

D Jude Anantth

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]