FORUMS: list search recent posts

create one DVD from several DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
emma sullivan
create one DVD from several DVDs
on Feb 23, 2010 at 11:50:47 pm

Hi i am new to all this so i hope this doesnt sound too daft.
I have been asked to make one DVD out of several short movies all supplied to me as separate DVDs. What is the best way to do this to ensure the highest quality ( these will be projected on a large wall). I have Final Cut Pro, DVD studio Pro and iDVD to work with. Should i ask for the films to be supplied to me in another format first? mpeg2 or mov??
thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: create one DVD from several DVDs
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:41:27 pm

Hi Emma,

There is a free program called MPEG StreamClip that will allow you to pull the original content from the DVDs in a native format so there is no quality loss, meaning you can get .m2v video and .a3c audio files direct from the DVD, then just drop those files into your new DVD composition.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

emma sullivan
on Feb 24, 2010 at 11:56:20 pm

great thanks Jeff. I just looked it up and it looks good. Will give it a shot and see how it goes.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:32:36 pm

you need something that will just "demux" the assets, you want to pull the m2v and audio files (aiff or ac3) from the disc, then you bring these into DVDSP to author a new DVD. This is a non editing process and you are only assembling them again in DVDSP. Doing this way you are not losing any quality because you are not re-encoding.

But if you need to edit these together in FCP they you need to "rip" the movies off, they you edit and re-encode. There is a quality lose since you have to compress the video again.

I use Cinematize (but it is $70-120 for the software), a good free software is MPEG Streamclip..

Return to posts index

emma sullivan
on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:36:53 am

Thanks michael. well explained. Think i will give the free program a go with DVDSP for now and see how that goes.thank you again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]