FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overlay significantly lower quality through RCA connection?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Overlay significantly lower quality through RCA connection?
on Feb 20, 2010 at 7:31:12 pm

Hey Guys,

I produced a DVD and the client is reporting the overlay (it's a simple box next to the selection) looks REALLY BAD. He sent me a photo and it does look pretty bad (looks like 3 horizontal lines and it's not full brightness).

The ONLY thing I can figure out, as I've tested on SEVERAL screens, is that the monitor he's looking at it on is a CRT television connected to a dvd player with RCA connection. He put it into a player with component connections and said it looks great.

Any ideas? The box is 16x16 pixels using a color that was selected with Encore's color picker (so I'm guessing it was NTSC safe) - I did create one that was white and it had the same result.

I haven't physically been able to test myself, but was curious if this was a known issue...or if anyone else has experienced this.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Overlay significantly lower quality through RCA connection?
on Feb 21, 2010 at 8:10:42 am

why not post the pic here. it might help,

this may be a player issue, I have seen real cheap players kill overlays. other then redesigning the button overlay there is really not much you can do.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
I figured out how to re-create and eliminate the issue...but don't understand why
on Feb 22, 2010 at 2:45:32 am

Let me start by saying that I spent the last 8 hours trying to figure this out and burnt several discs as tests!

(I'll attach links to pictures at bottom)

Has nothing to do with connection - RCA, HDMI, Component...recreated issue with all 3.

Has nothing to do with player - created issue with multiple players.

The issue is with 16x9 vs 4x3 mixed with a background.

First thing I did was put same overlay's over black. Looked perfect. No problems.

Second thing I did was put them over a still image OR motion menu (transcoded MPEG2) - problem on both.

Third thing I found was that problem went away when I changed menu (in encore) to native 4x3 OR changed DVD player to push out 16x9 image.

Final thing I did was to put all 3 overlay assignments in my photoshop file - =1, =2. and =3. And...get this - 1 and 2 had the problem...but 3 did not.

So my result was to use ALL =3 and use the same color I've been using all along...WORKS FINE on DVD player set to 4x3 LB or 16x9.

This HAS to be a corrupt install or something...I can't imagine this is normal...I'm using CS4.

The overlay in the following image is the 3 circles together...on the left side of the screen, about middle.

Image1:
http://www.jbtwist.com/CC/16x9.jpg
(This is DVD player set to 16x9...there are 3 assigned colors - top =1 - left side =2 - right side =3)

Image2:
http://www.jbtwist.com/CC/4x3LB.jpg
(This is DVD player set to 4x3LB...same overlay same DVD...)

Again, my solution was to change all overlays to =3 and problem is gone.

Thought I'd update you, although at this point I don't need any additional help...disc is on it's way to the client!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: I figured out how to re-create and eliminate the issue...but don't understand why
on Feb 23, 2010 at 3:58:32 am

I took the project file to another machine and burned it. It's experiencing the same problem.

I'll completely rebuild with the same background tomorrow and let you know what happens.

I have the project file (CS4 - about 50MB) if you're interested in seeing it.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Overlay significantly lower quality through RCA connection?
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:23:19 am

I have another machine at my work...I can recreate the problem with the ONLY consistency being a background image. New Encore project, new Photoshop doc...just copy the pixels. I think either I found a bug or a color match that encore isn't friendly with.

I'll post in the Encore forum as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]