FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore alternative?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Kidney
Encore alternative?
on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:37:05 am

HI Guys,
Been using Encore for years (infrequently) and I've had enough of it.
Wondering what the alternative is that's compatible with 64bit Windows (XP), that offers good creative flexibility with menus etc. and ideally does a half decent job of encoding.
Cheers,
N.

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Encore alternative?
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:24:13 pm

What are your problems with Encore? Maybe if you could resolve your problems, you wouldn't be looking for an alternative... because there aren't many that offer the ease of customization and control that you have with Encore. Of course Encore doesn't allow you to do scripting like DVD Studio Pro does, but it has many other features to make up for it.

Scenarist is very complicated and expensive. DVD Architect is not as intuitive and lacks many of the features that Encore has that I'm sure you will miss after having gotten use to them. Pretty much all the others, such as Ulead Movie Factory, are designed for average consumers, not professionals, and will drive you crazy with their lack of control, completely unnecessary features, and bubbly interfaces.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:27:57 pm

I agree with Jon. DVD authoring tools are not meant to be design tools anyway. If you don't like the quality then you either need to practice better work flows or get a better encoder....not sure which one but you did mention you don't author very many discs.

DVD authoring/encoding/design is difficult work to get right. It takes practice and hours of hard.

Return to posts index

Neil Kidney
on Feb 22, 2010 at 12:34:32 pm

Hey guys, cheers for the reply.
Yes, Encore has great usability and after dabbling with the others, I find it by far the easiest. I dont need scripting or anything so its fine for what I need it for.

My problems: crashing like no other. usually on disc build (if I get that far) or more often than not when I try to load the encore file it will cause it to crash.
My work flow: (OS: XP64) Build menus in Photoshop, import them into Encore, import the footage and connect it all up. The video files are uncompressed AVI's. Sometimes when I cant open the encore file (which is quite a lot) I rebuild the project and encode the avi's using TMPGenc 3.0 (I have no preference for what software does the encoding). Encore will often crash when it goes to encode the project at build time. I think a problem might be that I have 24 links to timelines/submenus from the front page. Problems seem to occur when I'm building it when it begins to get heavy/complex.

Any of this sound familiar?

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Feb 22, 2010 at 2:39:19 pm

I see two problems with your workflow:

1) You are using XP 64, which is not a widely supported OS. It has many bugs and is a failure of an OS much like Windows ME was. I recommend getting Windows 7 x64 if you want a 64-bit OS.

2) You are exceeding the limit of 18 buttons for a widescreen DVD menu. You can have up to 36 on a 4:3 menu however. These are limitations of the DVD spec and not Encore.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Neil Kidney
on Feb 22, 2010 at 3:25:12 pm

I was aware of the limitation of 18 buttons for widescreen, so I made that particular menu 4:3
I have an old 32bit lying round, might try transferring it across.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]