Dual layer break - new problem previously unheard of

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Barnett
Dual layer break - new problem previously unheard of
on Feb 19, 2010 at 12:49:37 am

Hi People...

I am in a real pickle...

I have a dual layer DVD with 2 tracks. first track is 40mins, second track is 1hr 20min. I am getting the old;
"Formatting was not successful. A suitable marker could not be found in the required layer break range. See the DVD Studio Pro User's Manual for more information." error.
however when I have built my project and I go to the break point drop down menu in the disk volume tab, all of the chapter markers are available, none of them are greyed out. Yet when I try to use them they dont work. I usually get a track one is too large error. (and track one is the smaller of the two therefore can't be too large).

The project is 8.45 Gig so is not too big for the disk, and i have burned this same project before with no problem at all

(previously I had another marker at the end of track 1. this marker was inside a 1.5 minute chunk of black in my film - a mistake - so I had to move it, now when I try to add it back I get an error message saying that it needs to be at least 4 seconds away from the next marker. which it cannot be)

So how can these markers not be greyed out if they dont work, and where do I put my real break point marker...

please please please help.. I am desperate this DVD is flying to LA from the UK on saturday about 36hrs from now!!!!!

thankyou for your help!!!!

Chris

quad core intel power mac - snow leopard - latest FCP studio

Chris Barnett
http://www.micro-film.org
http://www.youtube.com/chrismicrofilm

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Dual layer break - new problem previously unheard of
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:10:19 am

This is not a new problem, this is the same layer break question, just with more confusion thrown in.

[Chris Barnett] "The project is 8.45 Gig so is not too big for the disk, and i have burned this same project before with no problem at all "
But this means that your disc is almost full and that means that the area for a good layer break is going to be really small. Maybe a window of a minute or two.

Taking the info you have in the other Post (Posting 2 threads is really bad form, please don't do that, you should just reply to the first thread).
You have a shorter video (40 min) video in Track 1 (you need to make sure this is actually in VTS 1) than an 80 minute video in Video track 2. A rough guess will place the layer break around 20+ minutes into the second video. So you need to put a bunch of chapter markers past that point for about 10 minutes, put them about a minute apart.

Than you do a build with layer set to auto. Then you do a format, it is now you look for the valid markers, most should be grayed out now, if you have several that work you can put the layer break anyplace between them, remove all the markers you don't want.

NOTE:
the 1st layer is LAYER 0
the 2nd is LAYER 1

LAYER 0 has to be bigger than LAYER 1 but is does not need to always fill the layer.

Return to posts index

Chris Barnett
Re: Dual layer break - new problem previously unheard of
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:59:22 am

Apologies for the bad form, I'm relatively new to this forum (well I very rarely post on it) and wasn't sure that I had actually posted the first post as I couldn't find it in the threads, or that even if it was there it was in the right place... I try to keep it polite though to make up for it...

Cheers pal I'll check this out when I get back into the studio tomorrow... yeah I guess I must be checking the available markers at the wrong time / place in the process as no markers are greyed out...

appreciate the swift response old chap

Ta

chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]