FORUMS: list search recent posts

[Color Correction] Different color appearance on various devices

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonio grossi
[Color Correction] Different color appearance on various devices
on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:11:12 pm

Hi,

sorry for the silly question but I'm working on a color correction for a movie.
Now I had an export for testing and it shows completely different on different monitors (I tried it on my friend TVs and pc).

For example on some TVs it shows a blue tone, on other a warm tone, on my friend's notebook's monitor it shows the masks/effects I put on it. It seems it depends on the screen.

I'm bit astonished about that. Maybe I should take another step, creating a colour profile?

thanks a lot for your help,

rebelmachine

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: [Color Correction] Different color appearance on various devices
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:15:15 am

All you can do is to color correct to a properly calibrated monitor. That is your reference. If you cannot deal with the fact that everyone else's TV will be different you will need to go to everyone's house and calibrate their TV and computer screen. A TV has several presets that change the color balance with a click of the remote, so you will need to remote that feature from the TVs. Some of the TVs will be so old that you will have to replace them for the people.

Now this is all tongue in cheek, all you can do is to get it right on your end and live with the fact that everyone else will see it differently. The comfort comes from the fact that the blue TV will be showing that for everything that is watched and that people will not see a difference on your video.

Return to posts index

Antonio grossi
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:59:58 am

thanks for the reply!

I understand your points. The movie was processed using a professional monitor in a post production studio.

My doubts comes because, for example, on a TV it looks with a very cold tone but the same TV shows correctly other 'original' dvd.
So, if the problem was related to the settings on the device, why other video looks almost correctly and mine it's so different?
Perhaps we need another step to even out the tones?

For me it's an extremely important point because the movie will be released on dvd for sale

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 19, 2010 at 12:05:20 pm

Well that is other issue than your DVD looks different on different TVs. But if the cool cast is always say to blueish side and TVs set to normal and Hollywood DVDs are pleasing then it is your color correcting. Your reference monitor could be set up incorrectly, The room lighting can be wrong. Maybe the encode is doing something.

The thing is you need a find a reference.

If you playback the DVD on the same monitor as you color corrected the video on, is it close (color space is different so it will not be exact, but it should be in the same ballpark), Compare your DVD to the same Hollywood DVD on different TVs, Is the color different in the same direction?

Return to posts index

Antonio grossi
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:14:17 pm

well,

I tried on the same TV the Lars Von Trier's Antichrist dvd and it looks normal, tones are the same seen on my lcd display. There aren't blue tones or strange appearance effects.

So, reading your opinions, the problem could be in the encoding process, right?

thanks again for your precious help!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:38:57 pm

sorry I didn't answer, no my first thought it would be your color correction. I have not seen encoding that added a color shift in the process, artifacts yes, blue tone no.

Return to posts index

Antonio grossi
on Mar 1, 2010 at 1:28:37 am

uhm,

thanks Michael. I will talk with the people who initially worked on this and ask for explanations.

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]