FORUMS: list search recent posts

universal playback

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Billy Fox
universal playback
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:38:50 pm

Not sure if this is actually an authoring, or a burning issue, but I'm encountering issues playing back a project created in FCP, authored in iDVD, and burned on a Macbook. It plays fine on every Mac and DVD player/TV, as well as most PCs, but I'm starting to hear back from some PC users that their computers aren't recognizing the dvd.

Is this due to authoring in iDVD or burning on the Macbook (rather than commercially pressing), or some other issue?

The crux of the matter: I would like to have a batch pressed commercially, but I worry that the master I provide the factory will yield similarly temperamental dvd's.

Will having the master created in DVD Studio Pro solve this, or will I encounter the same problems due to burning that master on the Macbook?

Thanks for any thoughts / solutions!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: universal playback
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:50:25 pm

Hi Billy,

I work with the PC, but there is a universal rule to burning a DVD. It must be burned as "DVD Video" with the burning program in order for it to be recognized as "DVD legal". In other words, it's not enough to have all the assets and just "put them on a DVD disc", the program doing the burning must organize the files properly for the DVD to be recognized by players.

I will often have a VIDEO_TS folder (DVD content) that I need to burn to disc and when I go into NERO for burning, I have a choice of "DVD DATA" or "DVD VIDEO". If I chose DATA, the VIDEO_TS folder will be on the disc and most computers will recognize that and play the video, but a set-top player will not see the disc as a DVD. I must burn as DVD VIDEO to get a compliant DVD.

So, I'm guessing that is your issue, that you are just burning the material to disc, but not really as a DVD.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:00:33 pm

[Billy Fox] "It plays fine on every Mac and DVD player/TV, as well as most PCs, but I'm starting to hear back from some PC users that their computers aren't recognizing the dvd. "

Do other DVDs play back for those PC users? Have they tried playing the disc in a different machine to determine if it's the disc or player?

Not all DVD players are created equal, especially the older machines that can be finicky when reading "burned" discs as opposed to "pressed". The same goes for the media... what brand of discs are you using?

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:46:00 pm

iDVD is not pro software and not meant to be used to make DVD masters. Learn the ways of the Force, er that is DVD Studio Pro.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

Jack Dever
on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:58:10 pm

We've been having the same problem with PC users saying that their computers are not seeing our DVDs created in DSP or burned from our burner or finalized in our desktop DVD recorder. Is there something going on in Windows we should know about? It's only started happening in the last few months and not all the time. Very confusing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]