FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where/What to Buy?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Silenzi
Where/What to Buy?
on Feb 15, 2010 at 7:50:30 pm

Hi all,

I know that brands don't make any/much difference with DVD burning, but I was curious if there is an industry standard? Also, do you have favorite retailer?

Also, I'll be exporting an hour long DVNTSC 48 session for the big screen... and I have a sense that this will be the largest project I have ever worked with. Should I expect to need 8 GB sized DVDs? Or larger?

THANK YOU,
Andrea

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Where/What to Buy?
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:20:17 pm

Brands can make a big difference. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are all I'll use. You never want to use cheap media in a professional environment.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

Return to posts index

Andrea Silenzi
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:38:47 pm

Thanks, Eric - that's good to know. I found another Cow thread saying otherwise and felt skeptical.

Any idea if 60-90 minutes of video exported for DVD will need a 4 or 8 GB sized DVD? Is any speed/readability lost by going to the larger size?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:08:59 pm

A few years back, I was having a lot of problems with quality on store-bought DVD-R media. One batch would work fine, the next spindle would have all kinds of rejects. I had a software utility that would read the manufacturer code from the discs and found that identically packaged discs from the same wholesale club were from two different manufacturers, just re-branded!

I switched to Taiyo Yuden and never had another coaster. Also, the Water Shield discs have a nice glossy surface for inkjet printing. That said, due to recent economic issues, I've gone back to the wholesale club and the Verbatim brand have been working well, as the other poster mentioned.

Also, note that JVC and Taiyo Yuden just joined forces and the discs are now being branded as JVC, but same Taiyo quality.

About size, some players have issue with the dual-layer "DL" discs, usually better to stick with 4.7GB DVD unless you have a very long program and need the extra space.

At 60 minutes, highest quality encoding, a 4.7 disc is fine. Even at 90 minutes it will look good, and in fact I often go 2 full hours on a 4.7, so you will be fine. A quality encoder is important though, that can make a big difference in final product

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:47:35 pm

That thread is referring to the quality of the picture. Its just 1 and 0s so quality is not affected. But compatibility and playability across a large amount of players is affected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]