FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic question re:Lt/Rt

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adams Wood
Basic question re:Lt/Rt
on Feb 15, 2010 at 6:39:24 pm

Hi,
My soundmixer has given me an Lt/Rt mix two .wav files (one L, one R) and I'm not sure how to use them to create a DVD in DVDSP.

The only thing I can think of is to add surround, assign them Left and Right, and hope for the best, but is that right?

cheers.

DVD SP 4
Compressor 3

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Basic question re:Lt/Rt
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:20:00 pm

You have a the different parts of a stereo stream, that does not make for surround. The first thing you need to find out, are these streams panned? I would bring them into a audio program and make them a stereo file and then encode that as 2.0 ac3.

Return to posts index

Adams Wood
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:56:54 pm

Can I just put them in FCP and pan them?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 15, 2010 at 9:56:33 pm

sure, then export it as aiff stereo.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:25:20 pm

Lt/Rt is Dolby Pro Logic 1 or 2. Dolby PL-1 format has 3 front channels plus 1 surround channel. Dolby PL-2 format has 3 front channels plus 2 surround channels. In both cases, the .1 (LFE) channel is optional. Dolby PL is fully compatible with stereo applications.

When you encode your .ac3 audio file, select Dolby 2.0, and look for the settings "not surround encoded/surround encoded/not indicated." Check "surround encoded." You can do this in Compressor or in any other Dolby encoding application.

When played through a surround audio system, you should hear surround content, although it will not be as good as 5.1 encoded from discreet tracks.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Adams Wood
on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:10:25 pm

Thanks a lot for the help, Bill.

My immediate problem is pretty basic, I think - I'm using Compressor and I need to know how to encode the 2 wav files as an .ac3, together. Or do I have to somehow make them one file before I encode them?

Thanks again,
Adams

Mac Pro 10.5.5
DVDSP 4
Compressor 3

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:06:52 pm

You can import individual .wav files for 5.1 surround in Compressor, but I never tried it with stereo. (Most of the .wav files that come here already have 2 tracks for stereo.) If there's no way to do it, then drop the two files into either Soundtrack Pro or Final Cut Pro and send to Compressor.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Adams Wood
on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:10:29 pm

Of course - that makes sense - don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks Bill!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]