FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow with 25fps footage

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Metcalfe
Workflow with 25fps footage
on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:19:44 pm

I've been having some trouble solidifying my workflow and I wanted to see if anyone had any better ideas.

Original footage is XDCAM EX 1080i50 (although in FCP in the browser all the clips show 25fps?)

1. Edit in ProRes422 timeline

2. Export to ProRes422 mov

3. Compress to 24fps MPEG-2 and output DVD in Sorenson

Now what I'm wondering is when it would be better to pulldown to 24fps, I've already tried changing timeline settings and rendering in FCP, the audio is way off.

Also when I output the DVD in Sorenson it ends up real choppy

I'm thinking, since it's just going to DVD and the quality is going to be lost anyway:

2. b. Convert ProRes .mov file to 24fps H.264

I know this is vague but anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Workflow with 25fps footage
on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:42:00 pm

[Jason Metcalfe] "3. Compress to 24fps MPEG-2 and output DVD in Sorenson "
WHY? are you needing NTSC DVDs you are changing Video Standards here.

[Jason Metcalfe] "2. b. Convert ProRes .mov file to 24fps H.264 "
NEVER do this, going to H264 is waste of time and you will end up with poorer quality.

[Jason Metcalfe] "Original footage is XDCAM EX 1080i50 (although in FCP in the browser all the clips show 25fps?) "
They are interchangable, 50 interlaced fields make 25 frames (but not 25 progressive frames)

Return to posts index

Jason Metcalfe
on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:48:58 pm

[Michael Sacci] "WHY? are you needing NTSC DVDs you are changing Video Standards here. "

Yeah, for the digital copies everything is groovy, but I'm afraid that the dvd player may not be region-free (is that what it would have to be to play PAL dvds?)

Basically i've been trying to solve this problem for a while and all of the answers I've come across say that it is possible to pulldown to 24fps but that there will be quality loss

I was also thinking it would be possible to author a PAL dvd from this footage, and then rip just the image from the dvd and somehow burn that into an NTSC format

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:42:27 pm

Regions have nothing to do with standards (PAL or NTSC) Do you need a NTSC disc? are you in the USA?

[Jason Metcalfe] "I was also thinking it would be possible to author a PAL dvd from this footage, and then rip just the image from the dvd and somehow burn that into an NTSC format"
NO, never, once again this is just adding work to achieve a lower quality.

If you have to author a NTSC DVD then you need to convert in Compressor and use the Frames control settings. You can also retime the footage in Compressor to play back at 23.98. This would be okay. You need to do short test to see what gives you the best results. The Compressor manual tells about all the settings and what they do, the amount to apply is up to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]