FORUMS: list search recent posts

What DVD software is the best?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Merchant
What DVD software is the best?
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:23:42 pm

Hi - Ive just joined the cow because I really need some help with this and there's so much on the net it's overfacing.

Im currently using DVD Studio Pro 4 for authoring and I'm really not happy with it. It has a problem even displaying a JPG.

I want the menus to look crisper, funkier, just better....

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good industry/professional DVD authoring programme that really looks the business?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: What DVD software is the best?
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:49:58 pm

If you prepare your assets correctly you can get a great image quality from DVDSP.

But you can look into Adobe Encore or Sony DVD Architect. These 3 have there pros and cons with regards to the way they author but you can produce professional level DVDs. If you want spec level authoring there is Sonic Scenarist.

I have produced 100s of titles with DVDSP and they are high quality both for video and stills.

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:59:49 pm

Thanks for your reply - but its not just about JPEGs. DVDSP doesnt handle HD Footage well unless the project is HD. Its rubbish at importing subtitles, and doesnt export them either.

I just want something better.

I'll take at look at those suggested...anyone else have any suggestions?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 9, 2010 at 6:16:48 pm

Lucy
The issue is in your workflows. Getting new app willnot help your issues. You need to research the correct ways to handle and pre processYorubar media before authoring.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 9, 2010 at 6:20:02 pm

Apologies! First post from my new iphone.

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:47:38 pm

thanks for the threads

But I dont specifically want HD - I want a good all rounder.

Im using a Mac Pro

There must be something better than DVDSP? Or do I need to create the templates in their entirity elsewhere and then import them??

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:55:47 pm

Sorry DVDSP for can do 99% of the authoring you need. If you don't like the quality just look at encoders. But most reasonably priced encoders need SD assets. Compressor does a fine good with good source material that has been Color Corrected and you can use high bitrates. When it drops below 5 Mbps it starts to suffer. There is BitVice or CinamaCraft for encoding.

Oh, if you are encoding within DVDSP then all bets are off, if will do a crappy job more times than not.

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:08:19 pm

Thanks -yes, I do use compressor, understand all the settings and always use highest quality source files but thats not really my issue per se

Its hard to explain but I want to make menus that look slicker - behave better - odd shapes and sizes. Sliding action with sound effects. Something like the Universal Blu Ray menu (half circle, translucent).

DVDSP doesnt handle the alpha on images well either - so where I think the background is clear, it turns it black on import.

An added bonus would be software that imports subtitles better (doesnt loose half of them on import) and most importantly exports them if they've been typed straight on. I know theres a bolt on that can do this but it would be good if it was all in the soft itself.

What is out there that's really high end? Something that doesnt come with wedding templates!!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:53:38 am

Lucy you are confused. DVDSP is not a design tool. DVD is not blu Ray either. All the fancy smancy stuff you see on disc were done by highly talented designers with years of experience. It has nothing to do with DVDSP :)

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:34:29 am

I am not confused and I didnt say that I want to author blu ray. I said I want the menus to look like the blu ray menus that universal use.

I realise that DVDSP is not a design tool - but even if I designed that sort of menu elsewhere, it wouldnt import into DVDSP.

This is why Im asking what ALTERNATIVES to DVDSP there are out there - that are really high end and look slick.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 10, 2010 at 2:57:21 pm

You ARE confused, SD DVD menus CANNOT look or function like BluRay menus. It is not within the possibility.

I HAVE given you alternatives. But the software is not the problem.The problem is your understand on what is possible within the DVD spec.

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 10, 2010 at 3:07:13 pm

OK - Confused means bewildered. I am not confused. I think you mistaken?

Im not looking for a fight - so please take your caps lock off!

I just wanted to know alternatives there are to DVDSP. Im aware that SD cannot function like those menus I just want to make menus look slicker like HD is.

You have provided some things for me to look at and I thanked you for that.

Anyone else?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 10, 2010 at 2:34:58 am

Adding to eric's post most of this stuff cannot be done on SD DVD. No sliding graphics, no sound, no animation. SD DVD is not BluRay, need to get over that and learn what is doable with SD DVD. It really sounds like you don't understand how the software works, you can build drop zones in graphics that work in DVDSP but you have to do it the correct way. I build all my menus outside of DVDSP and bring the finished piece in. Encore would most likely do better here so if this is important it maybe a reason to give it a try.

[Lucy Merchant] "(doesnt loose half of them on import)"
If you are importing a ST script and losing ST then most likely your TC is over lapping. As far as export STs well that is not a feature but like you said there is a program to get it done. Not sure anything else can export them.

Like I said Scenarist is a spec level authoring program and anything that can be done with a DVD can be done in that program. It has a steep learning code and is a couple of grand (don't know where the price drop ended) but once again it will do what a BluRay disc does.

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:43:33 am

I really like the idea of forums and post a lot elsewhere. But it does get frustrating when people responding assume that because Im asking a question, I must be "confused" or unable to use the software properly.

To be honest, you'd have to be a complete muppet not to understand how to use DVDSP. Its drag and drop and select. Its easy. I trained as a software developer originally and believe me, I can use this piece of kit.

@Michael - thank you for the suggestion of Scenarist. I will take a lot at it in more detail. Cost is not important, its the quality of the product.

Regarding the subtitles - theres nothing wrong with my timecodes. It just drops some for no apparent reason. I have a bolt on to DVDSP for export (some clients want transcripts) but it seems to me that it could have been built in. FCS3 doesnt have an DVDSP upgrade either for some reason either

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 10, 2010 at 3:11:57 pm

The problem is your not will to understand what the program in meant to do, nor the understand of what DVD spec allows.

Once again, there is pretty much nothing that can be done in Scenarist that cannot be done in DVDSP. The difference is cleaner code of Scenarist (if the person authors the title correctly).

Subtitling within any program is a quick fix and is not recommended, You would use a Subtitling program with Scenarist also. The more "professional" an authoring software gets the LESS you will be able to do in it with regards to content creation. If fact I don't even believe that you can create any Subtitles within Scenarist.

SD DVD is a locked (and dead) format, you will not see much change in any SD DVD program. DVDSP is not going to have any upgrades as far as SD DVD is concern, it is what it is. The only thing I would like is for curtain features to be removed. But since there is a good export program to get your subtitles out I don't see what the issue is. As far as I know there is no issue with importing subtitles, the only time I have experienced it dropping titles is when the TC of a ST started before prev. ST time's ended.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 10, 2010 at 3:51:44 pm

Lucy

We are really trying to help you understand the issues you are having. You say you want more professional looking menus (like Hollywood discs). Hollywood uses design tools like Illustrator, photoshop, After Effects and any number of 3D animation tools to design menus. They are produce by very talented folks who live and breath DVD everyday and are paid well. You are asking DVDSP to help you design menus like these which it will not.

You won't be using Scenarist since it will take years to learn. My advice to you, if youre interested in a career in DVD is take a look at these links. Once you understand the DVD spec, then you can move on to using any number of those design tools listed above to work within the strict confines of DVD.

http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/

http://www.dvddemystified.com/

The only thing DVDSP will not do is authoring highly specialized titles where a specific feature is needed, like some games for example. DVD authoring is nothing but writing machine code so a spec tool like Scenarist allows you to write this code and not rely on DVDSP abstract code it uses for all titles.

PLEASE READ: ANY HOLLYWOOD DISC YOU'VE SEEN CAN BE DONE, AND LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME, IN DVDSP!!!

Sooooo...lets start all over! :) Please list the issues are you having with DVDSP and we will try and fix them for you.

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:42:48 pm

You have to admit that responses given in forums can be quite patronising.

I have Adobe CS3 & 4 - AI, PS, AE etc. I have FCSP2.

Im just looking for alternative software.

Nothing takes me years to learn.

Thanks for all your responses. I will consider them

best wishes

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 10, 2010 at 5:22:18 pm

Oh please Lucy! Dont be fool

The folks in this forum are experts in they\'re chosen field. We are giving you this advice because we know DVD and the tools very well from years of experience.

Were trying to save you some money while teaching you a little about DVD. You don\'t need a new authoring tool, just a set of patient ears. You\'re discs can look just as good (or better) if you would just tell us the exact issues you have with the title you are working on

I\'ve use Scenarist daily for the past decade and Im still learning little things here and there which make my workflow faster and easier-please don\'t make yourself looking any more foolish by making assumptions about an application you have never used, to another who has used it for several years.

How\'s that for patronization? God...I only wish Cow Leaders had banning permissions.!

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:32:04 pm

So Im now confused and a fool. And, Yes, youve succeeded, its very patronising.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:53:23 pm

Taking it down a notch...

Lucy the problem is you do not seem to be listening to what we are saying (and I'm not calling you deaf). You keep talking about what options are available to do a curtain thing, and that curtain thing is to make DVD menus that looks as cool and slick as BluRay menu. Well there is no way to do that, it is not is the DVD spec. If you don't like DVDSP that is one thing, like I've said, there are other programs and they work in a different way but they cannot do what you first asked. Buy a just released title that is on BluRay and DVD and you will see that the studio builds 2 totally different menus, why, because DVD cannot handle what BluRay can. It is more than just HD video and audio, the menu spec is totally different, authoring is totally different.

If you have specific things you want to do (within the DVD spec) ask and we will help you out. But please don't get mad and insulted because you don't like the answer.

Return to posts index

Lucy Merchant
on Feb 10, 2010 at 10:49:20 pm

I havent got mad or insulted because I dont like the answer.

what I dont like is name calling.

I think this is something like the 3rd or 4th time Ive said it now - but thanks for your time.

I think I have enough info now

Best wishes

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:46:45 pm

---Hand slapping forehead---

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:54:47 pm

Eric, Don't hurt yourself. :-)

Return to posts index

Chris Garrison
on Oct 10, 2014 at 11:24:15 pm

Hey, DVD's don't use HD video only 480p, if you want HD quality you will have to use Blu-ray's

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Chris Ballasiotes
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:32:17 pm

Lucy-
i would suggest you use AfterEffects to create motion backgrounds and then layer simple text buttons on top of the motion layer- which can be created in Photoshop then import into Encore to finish. It looks like you own all of these programs and the are designed to work with each other. chris

Return to posts index

Edward Teach
on Feb 24, 2010 at 8:45:02 am

Wow, you guys are pompous smacktards. It's too bad really. Lucy.. You sound like a bright girl. I don't care how long the experts have been at their 1 app, they seem to be deficient at giving useful advice. I can sound like an expert too with 4 hours of reading and google. That being said.....

I am having the same prob Lucy, so I will help with what I can. You may find this useful:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343166,00.asp

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/2385.aspx

http://www.sonic.com/ppg.aspx

You can acquire them through their respective sites or on the open seas, HAR!

Also, I bet you can find what you are looking for faster than waiting for the mediocre people to give you advice, just my thought.

Chris you win the useful pin. You're OK ;) Good luck Lucy!

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.
-- Plato

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:35:32 pm

:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]