FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best QuickTime codec for General DVD-Data Distribution

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Taylor
Best QuickTime codec for General DVD-Data Distribution
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:39:39 am

Hello

I'm going to be sending out 30 copies of a short 10 min. film as previews that I DP'd on and instead of authoring it in BlueRay, we're going to burn it to DVD data discs as a 720P QuickTime file.

My question is is that I am first converting it to ProRes 422 HQ, but where is it best to go from there? We're going to assume most of our potential clients have a way to playback QT files, but what would be the best QT codec to convert from. I'm using Compressor and there are several different 720P codecs but I want to be sure they'll play on all the random computers we hope they'll be seen on.

I've been told that H.264 is the most universal format, but in compressor it converts based on the source resolution.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Best QuickTime codec for General DVD-Data Distribution
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:50:29 am

What is your sequence settings, before you convert to ProRes?

H264 is going to the best compression for quality.

You need to be aware that high bitrates on a DVD may not playback every well. So you need to test.

Return to posts index

Joe Taylor
on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:17:25 am

Hey Michael,

Original project is 1920x1080p. The ProRes conversion has the same resolution settings. Again, we're no making a High-Def DVD, all we want is to convert the ProRes to a 720P QT file that they can drag or copy from the disc onto their desktops and play as a QT file.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:54:11 pm

Understand, I would export the video out of FCP as self contained with "Current Settings" then in Compressor use the Apple TV preset to convert to H264 @ 720p, make sure you keep the same frame rate.

Other than just pure testing and evaluating there is not much less I can say. This will get you in the right direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]