FORUMS: list search recent posts

ScreenFlow Capture for a DVD: Suggestions?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
ScreenFlow Capture for a DVD: Suggestions?
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:33:24 pm

I need to capture web clicks on-screen, and ScreenFlow is my capture software of choice.

Now, if I want to put that full screen capture onto a DVD, what size does it need to be?

I've reluctantly done this before. I captured without any further instructions. THEN the client decided that they wanted it on a DVD. When I tried, even re-sizing the (very large) captured mov file to 720x480, the text would distort, the screen was too large, etc.

The capture was perfect for display on a screen, but once authored onto a DVD (via DVD Studio Pro), there was major distortion, and I never figured out a solution.

This is a pro-active question as I have another project like this, but this time I KNOW the capture will reside on a DVD. Any suggestions considering my methods/software.

Method/Software
Capture with ScreenFlow and author with DVD Studio Pro.

Return to posts index

juan manuel de anda jr
Re: ScreenFlow Capture for a DVD: Suggestions?
on Jan 12, 2010 at 7:42:14 pm

I have to do screen capture sometimes and use debut free software. Honestly DVD simple doesn't have the resolution to give you what you want. All you can do is lower the resolution of your monitor to 800x600 so you actually read the text when you capture it. Otherwise just go for a data CD/DVD and export a video file with a 1:1 pixel ratio of the original capture.

I know what you need, but to many limitations doing it that way.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jan 12, 2010 at 8:27:48 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure I understand completely, so excuse me for stupid questions in advance :)

I'm capturing the full screen with ScreenFlow, then exporting from ScreenFlow at 720x480. If I had the option of only making a data DVD, I would certainly opt for that because the capture would be at full resolution -- ideal, large, great for presentation. But I'm being asked to burn it to a DVD, so I must find a way.

So far, I've done several tests. This seems to be working:

Capture full screen (with ScreenFlow)
Export (from SF) at 720x480
Import into DVD Studio Pro
In simulation (within DVD SP), it looks just like the capture without distortion.

I'll then need to test it on actual TV screens.

If there's a better way, I'm open to it. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

juan manuel de anda jr
on Jan 12, 2010 at 8:46:39 pm

No I definitely understand. I just wanted to make sure you are capturing your monitor at no more than say....1024x768. 800x600 everything looks bigger but you have no room to work with!

I just think that would work better than capturing say... 1280x1024.
Are you making a 4:3 dvd, or 16:9? If 16:9 I guess go with 1280x768.

I hope it turns out well whatever you do!

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jan 12, 2010 at 10:50:36 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks again, Juan. I lowered the screen resolution, which only allows part of the web page screen, and will mean a lot of scrolling, but after I capture and return the screen to full resolution, it looks crisp.

I guess that ideally, I'd like to capture at full screen using ScreenFlow, then export to specs, but as you stated, that doesn't really work.

I appreciate your input and will use your suggestions to find the perfect formula. Oh...and I'll probably create for 16:9.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]