FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVDs I can navigate easily

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Davis
DVDs I can navigate easily
on Jan 3, 2010 at 5:27:00 am

I currently videotape hours worth of news each day so I can review it later. Most of the time I keep this tape for some time, reviewing it and contrasting to additional news that develops later.

I've decided I want to change from tape to DVD with the thought that the DVD format is much smaller, less likely to malfunction and that I should be able to navigate through it much quicker, finding the segments I am looking for. I want to do it somewhat the same way I used the files in my handheld digital audio recorder. I can just drag files over to my computer with that and listen to them with iTunes or any digital audio player.

Is there a commercial DVD recorder that I can buy that will allow me to record off air or off cable news programs etc., that I can then download to my computer (with no translating or as little time-consuming translating) as possible. In other words, maybe something like a DVD-recorder that saves in MPEG-4 s. (Maybe you guys know a completely different way to accomplish what I want to accomplish - that is, to create files that allow me to scrub quickly and find the playback segments I wish to see quickly, without a lot of time consumption handling or translating the files.

Thanks,
Dick, Spot and Jane

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVDs I can navigate easily
on Jan 3, 2010 at 1:41:05 pm

Why not just use a DVR?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Richard Davis
on Jan 4, 2010 at 11:54:09 am

Hi Noah,
You asked why I wouldn't just use the DVD. Well, I want to be able to navigate much faster than I think I could do it using a DVD reader. I'm thinking I want the files to be available to software that I can use to scrub back and forth on the video like can be done in FCP (which I already own, by the way, so its not something I have to go out and buy).

Say, I have 10 hours of video. That is a lot of video, even if you are fast forwarding in a dvd player. In my mind I may have an idea what I'm looking for is about two-thirds of the way through - I can zip to that beginning spot, then slowly rock back and forth until I see something I recognize. Or I might be looking for stats that were talked about that day, like govt unemployment data. I could just rip through at fast forward till I see a graph, then slow immediately down when I spot what I think I'm looking for and roll back a little.

I want everything to be as efficient as possible but I don't want to have to do a lot of processing of data before I can even watch it (like translating file formats, etc.). For a similar reason, I'm thinking about switching video that I'm shooting at conferences etc, Going to MP4, rather than miniDV. I don't want to have to upload and translate DVD ust like I don't want to have to upload tape in real time. I'm looking for something to buy in a DVD recorder that would be the closest thing to saving in MP4s.

There might be better ways of doing it that I don't know of. Let me know if you think there is. For example, there might be some inexpensive DVD player software that offers this kind of functionality on my computer that I don't know about.

Thanks
Dick, Jane and Spot

Return to posts index

Richard Davis
on Jan 4, 2010 at 12:03:35 pm

Noah,
By the way, an advantage of using the DVD itself is I wouldn't be filling up hard drives all the time and I wouldn't even have to drag the files over, much less translate file fomats. So if there is a real flexible, fast and easy, DVD reader, especially if it is not very expensive, it would be worth looking into it. Right now I use IDVD to look at DVDs and it seems very cumbersome, slow and inefficient for these purposes.

Thanks,
Dick, Jane and Spot

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:48:12 pm

No not DVD, DVR. Use a hard drive recorder/Tivo like device. That will give you instantly searchable video that doesn't need to be loaded, or have any issues fast forwarding,etc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Richard Davis
on Jan 4, 2010 at 11:59:51 pm

Noah,
'Scuse me, I misread your reply.

Well, I use a Scientific Atlanta DVR now and it would be fine except that even though I added the only hard drive I know that is compatible with it, I'm always filling the capacity up. It is a constant job for me to move all the data over to cassette tapes so I can erase the drives and record something else. Keep in mind I want to keep the news for several months so I can compare what happened in subsequent events to what was predicted to happen - that more than a TIVO or Scientific Atlanta can handle.

The more I think about storing all that data the more it seems to me either DVD R or tape are my only options. Maybe DVD formats won't be so slow to work with as I think - I haven't tried DVD yet, I'm just trying to guess how easy or how difficult it will be to work with. Can anyone tell me a software DVD player that is more like Final Cut in terms of navigating large quantities of data?

Or anyone know a TIVO like device that you can keep ADDING hard drives to? I don't think this is actually available because Scientific Atlanta and TIVO use hard drive add ons as some kind of array devices that no longer stand alone.

Dick, Jane and Spot

Return to posts index

Richard Davis
on Jan 5, 2010 at 12:04:35 am

Noah,
Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with a DVR device like you're talking about. I will try to look them up. You know any name brands that would be good to start with?

Dick, Jane and Spot

Return to posts index

Richard Davis
on Jan 5, 2010 at 12:17:32 am

Noah,
A quick search and i did turn up these DV recorders you mentioned. Sorry for being such a dunce. I'll have to study these and maybe I'll determine they are what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Dick, Jane and Spot

Return to posts index

Eric Peterson
on Jan 6, 2010 at 9:20:05 pm

What about a product like Elgato Eyetv3 http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/software/EyeTV3/product1.... to record as a file on your Mac. Review it right from the computer.

Return to posts index

Richard Davis
on Jan 7, 2010 at 9:40:51 am

Hello Eric,
Eyetv3 looks like it might be a good option. I'm reading up on it.

Advantages as I understand them now - add hard drives as I like, versatile search options and even TV Guide data.

Disadvantages as I understand them now - Generally, I don't like having even more wires running to my computer - in general I kind of like the idea of bringing the data and plugging it in to my computer, rather than something I'm using my computer all day long to do...

Thanks,
Dick, Jane and Spot

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]