FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO HD 1080i60 vs. H.264 if video is going to Apple compressor anyway?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Roy
DVCPRO HD 1080i60 vs. H.264 if video is going to Apple compressor anyway?
on Dec 21, 2009 at 6:27:36 pm

Hello everyone and thank you,

I'm preparing 3- 25min HD shows for an SD DVD release.

In the past I have exported these shows from FCP with 'DVCPRO HD 1080i60' compression and other times 'H.264' compression, the latter is a significantly smaller video file.

If I send them both to compressor to prep for DVD, do you think there is a significant loss in image value, data loss? Most posts say H.264 should be avoided, I have the H.264 versions ready to go, and would have to burn a day waiting for the new 'DVDPRO HD 1080i60' versions, is it worth it?

I'm sure there is data loss, but enough to be noticeable to a lamens eye?

My 4.7GB DVD is maxed out, as the DVD will contain 3 25 min shows and another 25 min of bonus features. Is 'H.264' the best option for bringing down the size?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVCPRO HD 1080i60 vs. H.264 if video is going to Apple compressor anyway?
on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:25:22 pm

Well it's all going to be MPEG-2 on the DVD so the closer to original format you can send to MPEG-2 compression, the cleaner it will look. That said, H.264 is a pretty decent source, though not as uncompressed bit for bit as DVCPROHD, nor close to the source format. But if you can live with the look and you're on a time crunch, shouldn't be a big issue.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]