FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red type pixelation onto dvd

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Baugess
Red type pixelation onto dvd
on Dec 17, 2009 at 8:04:01 pm

I am using a red logo for an animation in after effects and all looks great, except when it's put onto dvd. The red is pixelated and bleeding all over the place. I've tried several different shades of red, different compression and so far this (link) is the best I can get. Does anyone have any tips?

http://f1.creativecow.net/426/dvd-red-graphic-problem

Here's what I'm using...

FCP 7
DVD SP 4
Compressor
After Effects CS4
Mac Pro 8 core dual

Thanks!

Casey

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Red type pixelation onto dvd
on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:25:51 am

Hi Casey,

Red is a tough color for video graphics. The colors you are working with are likely not "NTSC legal", meaning oversaturated and NTSC can't handle it. What looks very pretty on the RGB computer screen doesn't always look so hot on video.

Even white can cause issues if using pure white at 255-255-255, you'll want to stay at 235-235-235 (or lower) on the Red-Green-Blue sliders. What looks light gray on the PC screen will look white on video at the 235 settings.

Back to the red issue, dial down the red content and bring up the other two sliders a bit also, "pure" red (235,0,0) is NOT going to work, in fact no color should be used by itself that way for video graphics.

OK, I just jumped into Photoshop and played with the sliders to check my theory. Try 200-0-0, then try 200-50-50, you won't see much difference in the red shade on the PC but I bet the DVD works better.

Do you use Photoshop? Open any image, choose 255-0-0 red, draw on the screen with a fat, solid, hard brush, then apply the "Video > NTSC Colors" filter and watch how much it knocks down the color.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]