FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting anamorphic image to play back correctly on computers

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Engfehr
getting anamorphic image to play back correctly on computers
on Dec 17, 2009 at 3:56:16 am

greetings-i recently had some dvds created at a post facility. the project was on an HDCAM SR tape and was a feature done at 1080p 23.97 16x9. i had the dvds made 16x9 anamorphic. when i put them into a dvd player attached to my tv, i hit the 16x9 button on the tv and the image fills the screen and looks great. if i put the same disc into a computer, it plays 4x3 and the image is squashed in on the sides. i'm on a mac G5 desktop using the DVD Player. should this be happening? i shouldn't have to change settings on my computer should i? i've tried it on other computers and it's the same. was there a step the post house missed? i have no experience with authoring dvds and any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
kurt

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: getting anamorphic image to play back correctly on computers
on Dec 17, 2009 at 4:02:18 am

Make sure the computer's software player is set to 16x9

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 17, 2009 at 4:40:23 am

The problem can be an authoring one, Check to make sure the asset is marked as 16x9 in the authoring software.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 17, 2009 at 9:07:26 am

It's a mistake in authoring- I'll bet it's a 16:9 image but authored as 4:3 full screen. That would make it display correctly on a 16:9 display that's forcing 16:9 but 4:3 squishy on a computer. Tell the folks who made the disc to go back and redo so that the track containing the video is flagged correctly for 16:9. In DVDSP it would be 16:9 Letterbox.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Kurt Engfehr
on Dec 17, 2009 at 1:16:39 pm

thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]