FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd export??

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Potter
dvd export??
on Dec 16, 2009 at 5:26:19 pm

I've been given a dvd with a clip that I own.
Is there any way to export this clip into a format that I can edit?
The files are all TS_BUP,TS_IFO,TS_VOB, and several others.
The mac dvd player has no export or output.
I can't seem to open them with any other app.
Can anything be done??
Thanks,
ap

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: dvd export??
on Dec 16, 2009 at 6:20:03 pm

Andrew, give me your e- mail while I start researching this. The main way is to import the data into a video editor. You`ll be able to copy the DVD on to a folder on a hard drive. The editor will be able to get past the pointer files, unneeded menus, bogus bootups, and so on to yield usually, compressed audio + video file pairs you can reuse. (Diversion to dissolve editing follows:) Dissolve type editing requires converting the files there into uncompressed .avi or quicktime files for mixing (editing) with others of the same format if this type of editing is needed. educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 16, 2009 at 6:46:01 pm

You dont list any VOB files? These are the file which hold the video and audio.

MPEG Stream clip will do this easily but not with IFO files.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Dec 16, 2009 at 7:00:41 pm

(Guess!), .vob files might be some form of pointer files, subdirectory list, containers for time code blocks, or something else like menus. The answer hasn`t been e- mailed in my door in a mere hour. I haven`t even typed out the e- mail yet. But please stay tuned to the same bat time, same bat channel, as I ask someone who does it (on the editor) how, and as much as possible, why. I could sure ask why too as he also sent me one of those idiotic DVD types of, my, own show. Guys, type in what your machines, OSs, and available editors are. Some questions generate multiple answers possibilities.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 16, 2009 at 8:19:36 pm

Errmmmm.....Yeah

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 17, 2009 at 12:15:04 am

As Eric said earlier, MPEG Streamclip will do this for you - and it's free (Mac & Windoze). I also use Cinematize - it works very well but it's not free, and I'm not sure if it's Mac only.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Answer,
on Dec 17, 2009 at 8:15:46 pm

Answer from the mouth of the cave.
Alright, no answer came from the mouth of the cave by this evenning, I`ll see what I can hum out of mine.
1. You`ll need an editor software. Go to every porch sale, Hamfest (used to be the worst place imaginable to get anything for computers at all except that you could happily cross your fingers on software seagulling), and deemed reasonable store Christmas closeouts and trade some pocket tin for all the fresh bread slices you can paw and pocket on some video editors. Get some Operating Systems too for your computer. After a couple of days searching and seagulling, settle for what you`ve found. Editor names can be, Visual Dub, Cinerella, Gspot, Sony Vegas Nine Platinum Studio, Video Toaster, Matrox Studio (which needs tape hardware to run), Premiere CS4, Rave, lots of editor names with MUX in the middle, Final Cut Pro, and so on.
2. The electric bill part. Take out and put in a padded shoebox, the regular hard drive of your computer which likely has internet use and various audiovideo or CD/DVD players that won`t let it even think about looking at the files on your DVD or let you aim them at an editor. Zero out and format a spot/spare HD, then drop in and adjust a fresh OS and an editor. (Macintosh or IsoLinux owners, run across the street to your PC friend and have him zero out the HD on the bottom- most utility on his Maxtor CD or floppy, then come running back). The Kitchen Sink CD for a Mac can probably also do this. If you have two spot hard drives, install the OS on the first, and the editor suite on the second. The first hard drive will later get an install of a DVD burner program so that you can import and edit all your main procedures on your second hard drive then stop only briefly to transfer the final product to the first HD for sendoff burning. Some of you already have more hard drives or hardware than this but I don`t like to write too many words so I`ll keep the description kindergarten- size while still trying to keep the description good.
3. Make sure you remove all bad cables usually like internet networking cables, 56K modem cable, and your wireless network card for this. Often include all good cables like USB and audio cables so that handshake connections won`t be missing when installing hardware. (Many installs actually require hardware and cables to be installed or removed at given procedure steps compared to running the software). A couple of days ago on a customer`s computer, after the install but before the adjustments, he tossed a plain music CD in the CD drive. The 56K modem which supposedly wasn`t even softwared yet started blinking it`s activity lights. I pulled off the cable right away to prevent the computer from getting unwanted adjustments.
4. Ways of putting in or putting out the data takes from the editor are often described by 4 types of terms, essentially "importing, inputting, exporting, and outputting"; essentially standing for data in and out and compared to, modifying, filtering, or getting it through a bottleneck while it goes in or out. The general terms, compressing and "extracting or decompressing" aren`t always used because that is sometimes not what you are doing. When you import your video you are putting it in both a "folder" and a "console" at the same time because you are usually working it into a routine or "batch" procedure to make repeatable procedures a practicality. The console in Sony Vegas is probably called, DVDA.
5. Formats are almost always MPEG2 video for home played DVDs but the audio format usually used with it, AC3 stinks, both because it is a "lossy compression"(variable bitrate) format, and because it is Dolby automatic gain control. Bass sounds and women`s voices or singing are usually worst hit by what Dolby does although why have anything sound poor? Put in a regular "44.1" for 16 bit home style stereo or "48" for (18 bit?) broadcast sendoff. Obviously don`t make disks that jump between progressive and interleave vertical scan.
The 4 most common or sensibly used formats in editing are, "imported as original", quicktime, .avi, and, ProRes.
6. Remove embedded copyrights, metadata, protection/ encryption, etc as you import video and audio but, so as you reap, so should you sow. The responsibility is up to you. Insert copyrights, etc, normally not as metadata but as closing titles and similar. The problem of distributors "protecting" the current Artist but giving the Composer the boot is all too common. Do some good.
7. There are hundreds of exchanges amongst the many topics right here on the Cow. Exchanges with words like, "versus" or "beggar" in them are especially quick to help but get reading. Editor programs don`t care much if you are learning filenames or formats to go down the road but keep paper and pencil on hand. Some good file names aren`t file names. . rtm is of course, read the manual. . mux is really a process, multiplex; and .gns is, of course, my own brain file, get a good night`s sleep beforehand.
8. The biggest fault in my editor advice is that it comes without a disclaimer. You`ll need a video editor not a player for your uses.

Ah, look what came in the door! A puff from the cave.
"Dear Fred, Just drag the vob into Sony's Vegas and chop away. It takes "user-friendly" programs like that and not Final Cut. But, yes- the answer is yes, you can drag a DVD formated disc into an edit studio."

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Answer,
on Dec 17, 2009 at 8:38:24 pm

I think dude is smoking something in a cave cause he is just ramping nonsense. Vegas is a great product but like everything else it has its issues.

Return to posts index

Andrew Potter
on Dec 17, 2009 at 9:50:11 pm

Hey, that did it!
MPEG Stream clip worked just fine.
It was pretty easy, and free, too.
Thank you, thank you, thank you...
-a

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 18, 2009 at 1:40:24 am

LOL....Yeah! I want some of what Fred's smoking!!!

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
on Dec 20, 2009 at 4:35:42 pm

"I think dude is smoking something in a cave cause he is just ramping nonsense. Vegas is a great product but like everything else it has its issues."

Vegas procedure (I use Vegas 9pro):

1 click "import - DVD"
2 edit clips in timeline
3 export (render) to any format you want

... one of the easiest methods without any issues at all....
and if you want alternatives to fast re-edit or modify DVD structure, keep menus, etc. (and without recompression) there are many solutions altough on the PC world (VideoRedo, DVDremakepro, etc.)

good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]