FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to retrieve video from a DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wesley Dysart
Best way to retrieve video from a DVD
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:54:58 pm

Hello,

I've got a client who has footage on DVD that we need to get off the DVD for use on the web as trailers. At my day job we've used a program called 'Virtualdub' to do this. The results have been great. But I can't seem to get any of my coworkers to show me how to do it.

The app is free but I can't find any info on ripping from DVD with it. Whenever I search for info on ripping all I find is info on how to pirate DVD's. These DVD's were created with Adobe Premiere 2.0 and some of them were recorded using a DVD recorder, there's no copy protection, I just need the footage off the discs into a format that I can edit with.

If Virtualdub isn't the best way to get the footage off the DVD, can someone recommend something? My only other option is to re-capture from Digital Betacam and I don't own a machine personally, so there would be a huge expense. I don't want to follow the average "how to rip a DVD" tutorial out there because they don't seem to be addressing the issue of getting the footage into an editable format.

Thanks,

-Wesley D.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Best way to retrieve video from a DVD
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:00:12 pm

We use Cinematize for ripping video from NON-PROTECTED disks, almost always computer-created DVDs rather than commercial DVDs. Works quite well and only costs around $40, I believe. While I'm sure there are programs which can break copy protected disks, even discounting the morality issues, that's not an area we have any reason to explore.

Return to posts index

Wesley Dysart
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:10:17 pm

agreed, I have no need to break copy protection, I actually made most of these discs, it's just that now I need access to the footage and many of them were directly dubbed from tape to DVD.

I'll look into the app you mentioned, thanks!

-Wesley

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 10, 2009 at 5:14:15 am

Wesley,

Besides being able to do what you need and more, one of the best things about this app. is it's FREE!

http://www.squared5.com/

HTH.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:17:23 am

http://www.videoediting.ru/index.php?nma=catalog&fla=stat&cat_id=1&page=1&n...

DVD2AVI, this is a guide
IMHO you don't need to know read Russian, or try google.translate

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:00:52 pm

Ditto on MPEG Streamclip from Squared 5, great solution. Not only can you convert DVD back to avi for editing, you can rip straight to .m2v/.ac3 if you just want to re-use assets in new DVD project without any transcoding of material.

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:27:48 pm

Great Solution is software called DVD Decryptor
DVDDec can rip by cell/chapter/whole disk files/image file :)

Or if you have enough money - you need DVD Reauthor + Sonic Scenarist :)

Return to posts index

Wesley Dysart
on Dec 11, 2009 at 3:40:42 am

Cinematize looks to be mac only. MPEG Streamclip won't do anything unless I pay Apple $20 for MPEG2...
The foreign tutorial looks like it would work, but it's incredibly long and I can't read the explanations.
I tried a program called VirtualDubMod but it just asks why I don't have corona.dll when I try to run it.
I'm about to just use Handbrake, I've used it before and I didn't like the results, but it actually installs and works. It seems getting video off DVD is much more difficult that I thought.

-Wes

Return to posts index

Wesley Dysart
on Dec 11, 2009 at 6:19:23 am

This MPEG program is asking me to Uninstall QuickTime and install something I'm not familiar with. I own a QuickTime Pro license, so I'm not going to uninstall it. The new version of Handbrake no longer supports AVI, they say AVI is obsolete... and they say their software isn't made for pirating DVD's...

I'm at a loss. I thought VirtualDub could do it, but I'm having no luck, I even posted on the Virtualdub forum. All I wanna do is make video clips for the web, perhaps it's worth it just to re-capture from tape.

-wes

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Dec 17, 2009 at 1:35:57 am

"Cinematize looks to be mac only."

Wesley, I don't know where you're looking that gave you that idea, but Cinematize is for both Win & Mac.

http://www.miraizon.com/products/cine2features.html

Return to posts index

Wesley Dysart
on Dec 17, 2009 at 4:42:43 pm

You're right, I googled it and most of the tops hits mentioned OS X, when I first clicked the Miraizon page it didn't mention Windows, until I clicked 'learn more'. And it does in fact look like a very powerful application.

Either way, I have a friend who does primarily music videos for himself, he's a Sony Vegas user, and as it turns out, Vegas has a very simple 'import from DVD' option that has helped me out. I should have a hard drive on the way the raw files soon, so for now I'm all good, thanks for the info guys!

-Wes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]