FORUMS: list search recent posts

Single Layer data on a Dual Layer DVD-R DL disc

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dillon Brown
Single Layer data on a Dual Layer DVD-R DL disc
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:09:19 pm

If anyone can give any insight into this problem I would be extremely grateful. Basically I bought JVC gold DVD-R DL discs to archive a lot of shows for my job, and as such wanted discs that are good quality and have good longevity. I burned 6 discs and maxed them all out at around 8 GB of video data each, and have one last disc to burn, with a total of around 3.1 GB of video data. I want to remain consistent and use these good discs so I would like to burn just 3.1 GB of data on the dual layer disc - wasting 5 GB or so but that's fine with me. I also realize that this is only burning on one of the layers, so perhaps this is the problem.

I've burned two discs thus far in DVD Studio Pro using the Build and Format, which has worked without a flaw for the past 6 discs, but the discs it is creating for the 3.1 GB data cannot be read in any of the DVD players I have attempted to play it on - they all give me Disc Read errors while there is clearly data burned on the disc.

So perhaps it is a setting in DVD Studio Pro - I tried setting the layer to Single with no luck either, trying to tell DVD Studio Pro that all I wanted to do was burn a single layer of content on a dual layer disc.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Single Layer data on a Dual Layer DVD-R DL disc
on Dec 5, 2009 at 6:49:03 pm

Not sure but I'm kind of doubting that will ever work out right. DVD-Rs cost like pennies each- surely you can buy single layer ones and not put your projects in jeopardy? There's not much point in being consistent by using the same disc brand for all your projects.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Single Layer data on a Dual Layer DVD-R DL disc
on Dec 5, 2009 at 8:35:27 pm

It is a bit unclear what you are doing, are you backing video files to DVDs or are you making DVDs of your video with DVDSP. If you are doing the later you are throwing away a lot of quality, DVDs are very compressed. Plus DVDs are not a good primary back up media.

But anyway why would you want to waste a disc, just use a DVD-R for this video. DVD DL are still a couple of bucks verse about 40 cents for a DVD-R.

ALso DVD+R DL are recommended not -R DL.

If you have to proceed this way, use something like Toast to burn the Video TS folder onto the DL disc. Make sure you remove the .layout and .lay files for the Video TS folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]