FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual-Layer DVD - Can't set a break point!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amar Chebib
Dual-Layer DVD - Can't set a break point!
on Dec 4, 2009 at 6:27:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to burn a DL DVD with DVDSP4 but I haven't managed to set a DL break point. I followed Michael's advice on building the project with "automatic" selected and then viewing which chapters are in black by the format tool but they are all grey!

I have 10 chapters for the 2 hour video and they are all in between shots on a black screen when there is no video or audio. I have rearranged them several times but all the chapters are still grey.

What's going on?!

Thanks,

Amar

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Dual-Layer DVD - Can't set a break point!
on Dec 4, 2009 at 6:59:49 pm

what is the total amount of space used on the disc, run time of all the video and menus?

are you checking the valid chapters in Format or just in the disc inspector?

Return to posts index

Amar Chebib
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:13:43 pm

Hi Michael,

I managed to solve the problem. Here is the info + what I did.

The total amount of space used on the disc is 7.6 GB. There are 2 tracks. Track 1 is 2 hours and Track 2 is 3 minutes. I was checking the valid chapters in Format.

I placed an additional 50 chapters throughout track 1 and rebuilt it. 3 chapters are then became black under Format. The problem was that they were in the middle of a music performance and would interrupt it upon the layer change.

I'm assuming that because my disc was quite full, there was a relatively small area where I can have the dual-layer break. There was a small space between performances about 5 minutes before the first chapter that was valid for a break point. So I went to the VTS editor and put Track 1 in VTS 2 and Track 2 in VTS 1 and then rebuilt it.

Voila, I was able to put my dual-layer break on the black space between performances. It's formatting right now.

Thank you Michael for your promptness and all the other information you have posted on this subject.

Amar

Return to posts index

Amar Chebib
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:12:07 pm

So I guess I spoke too soon.

This disc burned fine. But it seems to run into problems on Track 1 on Chapters 4-5 (37:23-1:00:42) when played both on my LG DVD player and on my Playstation 2.

On the DVD player it starts skipping and showing artifacts and on the Playstation 2 it simply say's it can't read the disc. From Chapter 6 (immediately following the Dual Layer Break which isn't activated as a chapter but just a marker for the break) it plays fine.

The whole thing plays perfectly fine on my PowerMac G5 though.

I'm using Sonik DATA DVD+R DL 8x discs and I'm burning it at 2x speed. I've never used this media before, as I've never burned DL discs before.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 5, 2009 at 8:28:07 pm

First make sure Seamless is NOT checked for the layer break. It should NEVER be checked.

Then I always use Verbatim DVD+R DL disc

Now are you burning these within DVDSP? I ask because you said you set the burn speed to 2x which you cannot do in DVDSP. If you are not burn them with the program.

It is a little unclear as to what plays and what doesn't in each of the players.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]